MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clutch problem, but I'm wondering if it's the fairly common hydraulics problem or not.

Basically I have a very low biting point and sometimes it's hard to get into gear. After a very long journey I've even been unable to get into gear, so it's getting serious now. Possible that it gets worse with heat.
There is no visable leakage from the slave cylinder.

The car (2003 Mk1 ZS 180) has already had a new master cylinder last year, because that failed (the clutch was sticking down, and also disengaging even with the pedal floored) but the new master solved that.

I called my garage and booked the car in. From my description, they think it may be a mechanical failure inside the clutch itself, not the hydraulics.

Any informed opinions welcome...

Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
sound like it could be the same as mine as i'm having problems with getting into reverse and 5th,but only 5th at high revs,been told it maybe the slave cylinder so getting a sheddist clutch kit to sort all common probs out with this car.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Make sure the clutch actuating arm is not siezed on the pivot at the bell housing. Sounds like crap oe hydraulics yet again though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
sounds to me like a bent slave cylinder bracket wearing your seals out on the slave cylinder thus letting air into the system making it harder to select gears :)

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Try greasing the master and slave push rods. It may help as it did with ours.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

So, the fact there is no visable leakage from the slave cylinder does not discount it as the problem?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Just an outside shot, but I sometimes wonder if this is a gear linkage problem rather than a clutch problem. Maybe even a clutch cable thing? I'm no expert as you can tell.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Just an outside shot, but I sometimes wonder if this is a gear linkage problem rather than a clutch problem. Maybe even a clutch cable thing? I'm no expert as you can tell.
Unlikely to be clutch cable - The ZS180 has a hydraulic clutch.:err:

Sometimes problems have occurred with the circlips on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sounds exactly like my clutch was when I got the car, very low biting point and hard to engange gears withough stomping the clutch pedal into the carpet. Changed ot for the sheddist kit and found the master cylinder had shed ist circlip and was only being held together by the force of the pedal on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it's gone completely now!
My ZS has broken down! :-(

I've found what the problem is though.
The "shoulder" of the slave cylinder has broken off where it locates in the mounting braket.
So the slave cylinder has completely broken off the gearbox.
Also, because it probably cracked from one side and forced itself off at an angle, it has bent the mounting bracket as it failed.

Looks like the slave cylinder is made of some kind of plastic! How crap!
The slave cylinder on my Mini is more substantial than that!

Anyway, the AA are towing the ZS to the garage later for a new slave cylinder.
Unfortunately I need the car running urgently, so won't have time to get hold of a Sheddist uprated slave cylinder kit. Which is a bit of a missed opportunity. Oh well....

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Well mine has a clutch cable. It's right next to the magneto.:dddc:
Do you have to get out the handle to start it every time as well? "Chocks away etc etc ":whistle:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Unfortunately I need the car running urgently, so won't have time to get hold of a Sheddist uprated slave cylinder kit. Which is a bit of a missed opportunity. Oh well....
Whoa, i think i saw a post on hear tuther day from somebody selling a sheddist kit they never got round to fitting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My garage just called to say the slave cylinder bracket has failed!
And what's worse is they are no longer available!

Maybe I'll need a Sheddist clutch kit after all.

Are they still available?

EDIT: Have found a supplier now (Rimmer Bros) for the standard clutch bracket
but have since decided to install a Sheddist kit anyway.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My garage just called to say the slave cylinder bracket has failed!
And what's worse is they are no longer available!

Maybe I'll need a Sheddist clutch kit after all.

Are they still available?

EDIT: Have found a supplier now (Rimmer Bros) for the standard clutch bracket
but have since decided to install a Sheddist kit anyway.
See i was right :getcoat:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Whoa, i think i saw a post on hear tuther day from somebody selling a sheddist kit they never got round to fitting.
Suppose i'll have to try and find the post for you than as your obviously tooo lazy.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=55196

Andydafrog mentions in post #2 that he has a sheddist clutch kit available. Davidjames84 expresses some interest in post #9 but froggy has yet to state that the kit has been sold so might be worth asking if it is still available? i'd get my skates on if i were you!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My new Sheddist clutch hydraulics kit:-
Thanks for the super fast service Mr Sheddist!
I had it delivered less than 24 hours after ordering.
Garage are fitting it now, though I have to say, I'd have liked to have had a go at fitting it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sheddist clutch hydraulics kit now fitted.
Many thanks to Nigel for the fast delivery.

Clutch is now working a treat!

Even the garage mechanics were impressed with the kit.
Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts