MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, not been around for a while as cash has been tight and enthusiasm in my cars dipped, I have some spare shortly and know exactly where its going.

The mat black ZS will soon be recieving some orange addendums (and orange front splitter) so in the new year im plannning on some decent road legal and track rubber for dry use. What peoples opinions on performance, wear rate and cost? Reccomendations appreciated.

Thanks Rob

·
Registered
731 Posts
Silvertone RR have a rock solid side wall, similar to run flats, which in itself can be a problem on a car without tps.
Damn noisy on the road and wear quick, as do them all.

Dunlop Dirrezza, I personally found these to have more grip on track than silverstones, but a soft side wall meant they didn't feel good until up to temp and pressure (often start lower pressure on track as heat in tyres will increase pressure)

I found the silverstones could overheat the tyre edges and the Dirrezza's which had more grip would go threadbare on the edges on the track with stock suspension.

I know Pete (car13) thinks the reverse of what I have said, which is fair as Pete has a race car orientated setup and at the time of using both of those types of tyres my suspension setup was standard, so the results will be different.

I have a set of dirrezzas still, but only keep them as emergency spares, they are no longer road legal and have been recut.

My advice would be road tyres for the road and driving to the track (if thats what you want to do) and a spare set of wheels for track use and pick up some cheap used slicks, road legal track tyres and race slicks are like comparing day and night on both standard and race orientated suspension.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jason, just checked the price on the Direzzas and theyre about £210 a corner which is more than what the cars worth. Guess the max i really want to spend is £160 a corner for track tyres.

Just so you knoiw my cars on GAZ coilovers but ive not yet had chance to fine tune the setup, hopefully in the new year.

I have a few sets of wheels so might get some average road tryes ands like you say used slicks for the track. Only thing is you can never garuntee the weather, maybe im best gtting some decent wet tyres too or just some decent all rounders.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Toyo Tr1's are great compromise, good price tyre good on track in wet or dry.

I used these as wets for race car and on my road going ZS.

on a track day they are pretty good and will last a lot longer than softer tyres.

R888 best all round 1b tyre, however the Silverstones were 1 second quicker a lap in back to back test on the race car.

Tr1's good starting point then R888's.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
best allrounder wet or dry, road or track - on a budget - try Kumho Ecsta, took a set to the ring 2 years ago and very pleased with them.
I'm using these now because the feedback and warning before slip is great. They don't inspire me with confidence in the wet though. Not compared to vredesteins anyway, but I prefer the kumho in every other aspect.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
in my experience t1-r's are very good in the wet on track, ask all the subarus from scoobynet on a typical combe monsoon day back in 2007 iirc...but they do need a good tread depth. In the dry they were quite poor on track, they just drop to bits if they have good tread depth, and side walls are very weak leading to extreme wear quickly if your going for it .........might be ok for some'one whos new to track as you wont be going quite so quick, but im guessing your past that stage.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gents may thanks for all the pointers. Lots to look at, at the moment im swaying towards two sets one for wet/general and one for dry.

Three wet/general options being:
Toyo TR1
Kumho Ecsta
Hankook Ventus V12

And dry track options being:
Yoko Prade Spec2
Toyo R888

Any comments on what I've got in mind?

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
prada spec 2 aren't track tyres, they are grippy in the dry but nowhere near a 888.

·
Registered
182 Posts
best allrounder wet or dry, road or track - on a budget - try Kumho Ecsta, took a set to the ring 2 years ago and very pleased with them.
Had these on my old ZS180 on the road and air field days and can't complain.
I'm in the process of trying Toyo T1r's and if there anything like my Friends on his EP Civic there going to be a better choice especially in the wet.

·
Registered
731 Posts
trackday driver did a write up on track tyres, and so far the yoko 048's came up best all round, and have a lot more rubber on them than the others, so at least they can be recut or run as slicks.
need to wait for next months issue to see which are best around the track.

A set of wets is a good idea if you have enough wheels, look up your local clio cup team, they will often sell you decent useable tyres for 20quid a corner.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never heard of the Yoko A048, any info you can provide even goolge didnt throw up anything conclusive?

Nice advice gents, thanks. Soon as ive got my cash ready which should hopefully be in the next two months ill grab two sets, just not sure which ones as yet.

·
Registered
731 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts