MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not overly excited by the whole Olympics thing other than a few select sports like weights, Boxing, Taekwondo etc. Still it was nice to wake up and step outside the front door to watch an Olympic event roll past the end of my road. We're smack bang on the cycling Road race route. :) It was probably my only opportunity of seeing an Olympic event in my lifetime so worth dragging myself out of bed for.

Have to say, I empathize with the hired officials entrusted in controlling so many morons in the crowd who brazenly ignore their instructions. People casually crossing the road to get their morning paper when there's marshals whistling at them to STOP and stay on the pavement - not even the Police presence dissuaded them. Yes, I was desperate to get to the chemist on the other side too, but I understand NO means NO !

Anywho, gonna take my camera and snap them on the return pass. It's close to the finish line so should be exciting!

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In retrospect my comment about "morons" was overly harsh. The pack were still a few minutes away and the marshals were understandably nervous about avoiding any crowd-related incidents, of which there were absolutely none. That's saying a lot considering it was a 250 KM route! And after the race the spectators were praised for being so well behaved.

As for pics, by the time I twigged where I should position myself the only good pic I managed to snap was this straggling bunch who were 20 minutes behind the main pack with only 10 clicks to the finishing line. Again, Kudos to the sporting good natured crowd who even cheered these guys on.

( IMAGINE PICTURE HERE* )

*Sorry, the board wont let me upload a jpg image that's well within the allowable size and dimensions. Says it's not a valid image!

Sort it out guys!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I *just* managed to take a photo of our family as we were shown on the large screen inside the Olympic Stadium during the Opening Ceremony. By the time we realised the camera was actually looking at us, it took me a couple of seconds to take the photo, but it did work!

As for the Opening Ceremony itself, it was FAR FAR better in real life than the BBC coverage which we watched the day after. The noise from the crowd does not come across at all - but that happens at most events.

Definitely made us all feel very proud to be British. Everyone was so friendly, and it was more like a carnival atmosphere!

Photos available, but I dont want to bore you all :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I *just* managed to take a photo of our family as we were shown on the large screen inside the Olympic Stadium during the Opening Ceremony. By the time we realised the camera was actually looking at us, it took me a couple of seconds to take the photo, but it did work!

As for the Opening Ceremony itself, it was FAR FAR better in real life than the BBC coverage which we watched the day after. The noise from the crowd does not come across at all - but that happens at most events.

Definitely made us all feel very proud to be British. Everyone was so friendly, and it was more like a carnival atmosphere!

Photos available, but I dont want to bore you all :)
See if you can post one here. Cause I couldn't!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree - doesnt seem to want to upload the file. It's definitely a valid jpg file, size 54K, 560 x 420 pixels. Gas-Axe - want to check it for us? I'll try and upload it into the Gallery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts