MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
He Urinates 98 RON Petrol!!!!
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Engine mounts only way mate esp lower.

As for remap it neededs to be done, but we ain't the ones paying. As for traction problems its a turbo car there all the sames means you have to learn how to feed the power. No nasp linear power here!

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
. As for traction problems its a turbo car there all the sames means you have to learn how to feed the power. No nasp linear power here!
Yeah no sh*t!!!:lol:;)

Wish i'd have been able to get more runs now as i'm sure i could have gone better by mixing it up!

Still it was fun!

On the mounts front - i already have the lower mount/dogbone bush and SALK fitted, and tbh the fella that fitted them (Alex at AKS) said that the upper mounts don't really add THAT much more in terms of vibration in the cabin, but i'd hate to tip it from being something i can live with now - to something i hate if i did the upper mounts too - especially as there somet like £150 a pop!!

·
What are vis valves?
3,313 Posts
but it's the difficulty in laying the power i have effectively and i would still like to cut down on that damned wheel tramp too - i hate that as it sounds like somets about to break!!!

Wheel tramp is what caused the engine to basically fall out of the Vag ZS when i took it up there. its so harsh. Watching you from the stands we could see your whole car juddering and your exhaust pipes were going mental.

·
Registered
976 Posts
hey guys, nothing was wrong with my zed, i hope no one saw anything dropping out the bottom as everything seems fine on it! i just had to get back was going out that eve and had a few hours drive back, i did try say goodbye but couldnt find anyone so just left. Disappointing day for me too really, only had a few runs and couldnt stop the wheel spin so best i managed was a 15.2 plus i had a set of wheels in the back so not helping weight at all! much prefer a day on track to be honest but great meeting some faces shame i was the only zs there too, but times a changing!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The start line wasn't particularly brilliant on Saturday, I usually manage to run between 1.65 to 1.71 in the 60 ft but only managed 1.79 and 1.80 which is a massive amount for me, also, when I changed into 4th gear at the top end of the track my wheels broke traction, that's not because my car is a fire breathing monster just that POD are stingy with the glue.
Everyone was having issues getting off the line so I wouldn't look too deeply at your cars, as Dave pointed out, terminals are a fairly good indication of power to weight and most of you guys managed 100+mph.
Harbs, wheel hop is going to kill something so for the power you have it's a compromise, beefing up the mounts of bushes require may increase vibration a tad but it's a trade off.
Saturday was a weird day in terms of temperatures, don't think the ambient got much above 13 degrees but my skin says otherwise, the radiating heat of the sun caused some high intake temps for me also but after a burn out temps soon stabilised once the air was flowing.
Your cars looked epic, regardless of track times, I think it may have uncovered some areas for future modifications and a subsequent visit to POD to test them :lol:

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
Wheel tramp is what caused the engine to basically fall out of the Vag ZS when i took it up there. its so harsh. Watching you from the stands we could see your whole car juddering and your exhaust pipes were going mental.
Aha - Cheers Ross!

Always wondered just how bad it looked - now i know!

Deffo gonna have to look into further reducing it if i keep the car (that Black Audi RS4 that was there has set me off wanting one again!), but no way am i going solid mounts, will have to contact Alex at AKS again and ask him about uprated upper mounts again. Just that there £150 a pop last i knew and i seem to recall i'd need two - it's all spend spend spend when you like cars isn't it!:lol:

Spose if i got it mapped it would be more prone to spinning rather than hopping about too :evil:, But then again that might just be me trying to justify getting it done in the 1st place!

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
just spinning them up and keeping them spinning through 1st would get rid of wheel tramp and be much kinder to the car./

quote sie
"As for traction problems its a turbo car there all the sames means you have to learn how to feed the power. No nasp linear power here!"

that's not quite true....ask matt !

theres so much easy potential in our cars, matts would be 340 with just a remap and pulling top speeds to match that rs4.
mine would be comfortably quicker than that new 911 carrera s with just a re map........i guess the biggest factor for me would be possibly losing warranty, i have no doubt at all that traction would be no issue what so ever.

·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I would just get a fast road/ track lower mount first. You side ones are like brand new with your car won't make much difference. Alex will tell you the same.

And map is a defo will keep up if not beat a rs4 once moving. And running costs and maintance of them is not worth it. IMO

Simon

·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
What you saying dave about that post lost me, you know how power needs to be fed in after getting 20v zed around Combe you could just floor it as it used to light up the wheels I remember that rear view vid on the one chicane I caught you on the second you fed it in right and you disappeared.

Simon

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
I'm guessing a bit here, but i guess what Dave's saying (Much more so in the case of his beemer) is that the power delivery on his beemer is soooooo linear you can't even tell there are turbos on the car - it just goes like a very strong 6 potter!! I speak from expereince because we swapped cars and drove each others back from pod!

Mine is also reasonably linear, but there is a definite spike in the torque when full boost is achieved at approx 2500rpm, Dave's car doesn't have that spike in power it just seems to go any revs any gear totally smoothly!

If i could get my seatbox in the boot of a car like Dave's (which i can't as the boot is waaaay to shallow) :lol:, then i would seriously consider a 335i myself going on how Daves drove, but alas my main hobby has screwed the pooch on that front as i'd never get my gear in the car! :(

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
I would just get a fast road/ track lower mount first. You side ones are like brand new with your car won't make much difference. Alex will tell you the same.

And map is a defo will keep up if not beat a rs4 once moving. And running costs and maintance of them is not worth it. IMO

Simon
Yeah the increased running costs would probaly make me wince -especially the increased frequency of visits to the petrol pumps!:(

Doesn't entirely put me off though, and it goes back to something Dave said on Saturday which nailed the way i see it too, in that he wanted a car that could just do it all/was quick/looks good, drives great etc all out of the box without having to spend spend spend, and his beemer does that!

I'd like to think that the RS4 would also tick every box like this too, but being honest i'll never have the money to make the swap so it's just a dream really and for the most part the leon ticks pretty much every box already, just that having owned it a while now i can see some areas where it's definitely lacking/could be better but i guess you could be like that about any car if you were picky enough!

As for mapping mine - only time will tell, i probably won't, but never say never eh!

·
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Since remap mines getting better mpg on a run, and still the same around town it's only when gunning it same as before.

You thinking of fuel, fueling a rs4 4.2 v8 aint cheap.

And mine is a linear it's how it's mapped the Revo upgrade is all about a linear throttle. It just that there is still a chunk of power. Only you can decided but you don't want to regret it once its gone. Love mine and still want more power. Lol

Simon

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
Yeah the guys at Stattlers in Sheff said that i'd see an improvement in off/low boost fuel economy as the engine isn't having to work as hard!

Like i say - never say never, but assuming i have 280bhp'ish atm it's generally enough that the car still feels damned fast and hasn't gotten boring yet, but then again i think i'd have to be tapped in some way to get bored of it pace wise cos it don't hang about!

Sposei could do with somehow "trying"the car at 340bhp'ish and see how it is, how it copes etc & if i think it's too much - take it off!!

·
What are vis valves?
3,313 Posts
Be suprised I could not launch at pod very well and my power is made at 5k plus.

Anything other than a pullaway would result in traction loss, still on a pull away start I managed a 2.1 60ft.

I saw dave launch who seemed to get wheel spin to. May have been a bad day at pod

For what its worth too I cruised around on friday at 38mpg with 500 bhp. Sometimes more bhp is better fuel consumption...somehow

·
12,325 Posts
my car got better mpg over the day than matts, because mine was cruising at 80 at just over 2k revs, for the same speed matts was doing nearly 3k revs, big engines arent necessarily heavier on fuel. Having said that most folk who run powerfull cars with big engines buy them to enjoy them, so of course fuel economy suffers because its not priority.

I modified my zafira specifically to be linear in its power delivery but still traction was hopeless, it was just the nature of the engine and you could only get around it with boost by gear.
Matts is leagues better than my zaffy was, i remember first driving his car and i couldn't believe how linear it was but driving it again there is a deffinite strong surge as it comes on boost and this is what made him struggle off the line.
Mine just doesn't behave like this, there is no surge in power anywhere, its there all the time at any revs, 1000 revs in 6th gear and it just pulls.
Yes i can get spin and did get spin off the line when i turned tc completely off
but i have to have some revs held on to do it, my best 60ft was using low revs and no wheel spin, my best run i had only 1200 revs or so when i lifted the clutch and then i could just plant it because there is no point at which the turbos "come in" to upset traction.

I understand what your saying sie, my vag zs was very hard to drive smoothly, you had to have a gentle right foot,lol.
You can have linear maps, i did on my zaffy but still there will always be that chunk of power coming to upset traction.

·
12,325 Posts
best asking ed what to do about traction, he will have some answers.

that focus rs when he launched he ws just lighting the tyres up and looning away so no chance for wheel tramp.

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
Well adding stickier tyres would be a mixed blessing at it would give greater traction (surely), but i could see the flip side being that if you get wheel tramp it might be even more violent!?!

I asked on SCN whether adding a proper LSD like a wavetrac or quaife would help with launching & straight line traction (obviously the RS has one), but everyone who responded said NO it won't help at all!!

Obviously we could further beef up the engine mounts to cut the wheel tramp out further, but this will definitely add to the noise/vibration in the cabin & that's not something i personally want if i'm honest as the car will soon become a pita to live with if it's virbating like mad and nosiy/rattly inside!

I've already done the Anti lift kit, the Virbatechnics solid rubber lower mount and dogbone bush, Obviously i could do uprated upper mounts too, but as Sie pointed out they'd probably be of little gain as my cars still relatively young so the mounts should still be in good condition anyway!!!

Really though for how often i'm likely to do stuff like dragging/launching like a loon is it really worth spending money trying to eliminate something that it isn't usually that bigger an issue on the road!??

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Far too many variables involved that cause a FWD to break traction, weight transfer is the biggest contributor, biased the weight properly over all 4 wheels and this will be a major step in the right direction.
After market suspension will be required for adjustment to corner weight the car, add to that height and damping and a good 50% of the issues can be resolved.
In my opinion you need to understand why you have the problem or slight issue in the first place, it's either a trade off due to car set-up from factory or an inherent design "characteristic" .
As you know chassis dynamics is somewhat of a black art but I feel there is more than enough off the shelf parts to reduce or rectify these types of problem, band aids are not a fix they move the stress to another point in the drive train until it fails.
I haven't seen and video of your car launching to see how much weight transfer there actually is and also how much your wheels are moving in the arches, if you're tramping either one or both are present.

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
By far & away the cheapest option is simply to stay away from the drag strip. Lol, that solves a lot of the problem ;)

Being serious though it comes Down to how much comfort your willing to sacrifice for a slightly quicker time doesn't it! If like me you like the least amount of noise and vibration in the car that you can get (other than the obvious extra noise associated with adding exhausts and induction kits) then your only going to go so far as you'll soon end up compromising the car for outright performance!

Obviously the softer mounts in the Leon and I assume sie's golf too are done to minimise the transmition of unwanted noise and vibration into the cabin to make the cars more civilised/ give them a more "quality" feel and be less harsh etc!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sounds like you lot had a great day out. Well done on the times as well :)

Looks like Ed's car did well ;)

I spent the whole sunny day in a basement boiler room changing valves and gauges :(

My MGB is still not anywhere being finished. But the Slingshot IS ready now :)

So I'll be at the Pod on bank holiday weekend seeing if we can get it down the strip for its first pass with a rookie driver.... My mate who's car it is has only ever done 1 RWYB in his Rover 75. Now he will be driving a 700hp Methanol rail that only weighs in at 650kg !!!!

Methinks the first few passes will be leaving the line in top (2nd) gear and just tickling the pedal :)

Once he has had a few passes I'm going to give it a whirl ??

221 - 240 of 251 Posts