·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WILL "WILL" be getting a dual action polisher when my money comes in

What the heck do I buy and what pads/liquids to use

My Blue ZS
Mother's Galaxy (BIG)
Possibly brothers sceneic megane (nice bluey/greeny colour)

I really haven't got a clue and want proper results

An "it's looks ok" is just not good enough

currently use a mix of Maquiars and AutoGlym products for washing/polishing car

·
Registered
731 Posts
A decent polisher is basically a variable speed angle grinder. start at a ton

you tend to buy either a polishing or cutting pad, velcro backed to a screw on plate.

for polishing either g3, fastcut or similar or g10 being a fine compound.

any decent paint shop will sell the compunds, or even a decent trade autofactors.

dark colours always buff better than light.

can use 1500 or 2000 grit to sand out minor scratches that haven't fully cut through the top coat, or minimise them if they have.

a job well done can make a car look new.

for a better than new finish, 1500 grit the whole car and buff up.

all depends how much time / money etc you want to put into this?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A decent polisher is basically a variable speed angle grinder. start at a ton

you tend to buy either a polishing or cutting pad, velcro backed to a screw on plate.

for polishing either g3, fastcut or similar or g10 being a fine compound.

any decent paint shop will sell the compunds, or even a decent trade autofactors.

dark colours always buff better than light.

can use 1500 or 2000 grit to sand out minor scratches that haven't fully cut through the top coat, or minimise them if they have.

a job well done can make a car look new.

for a better than new finish, 1500 grit the whole car and buff up.

all depends how much time / money etc you want to put into this?
Car looks a shambles tbh, problem is I like to be involved and spending time on it
Maybe a chat with steve is required

·
Registered
731 Posts
Car looks a shambles tbh, problem is I like to be involved and spending time on it
Maybe a chat with steve is required
I buffed/wet mopped many a 'ole dog' of vans or cars and made them look mint.
you just need to invest in the right equipment & compounds.

Don't know how much a decent bodyshop would charge, but I bet its 150quid or more for a full compound. (i don't mean a 30quid quick once over that valeters do, although short term they look mint, and every car we traded we would have wet mopped like this)
You could buy the buffer and compounds for about that and be quids in if you have the time to spare.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i'd like to have a go at my headlights [MK2 ZS] as there looking a bit tarnished now. Ideally i want to get rid of any minor indentations and scratches then apply a very VERY faint coat of smoke tint spray so they barely even look tinted. This is really to mask the slight cobwebbing [minor fractures] that appear to be limited to the corners of the lamps but they would have a nice smooth to the touch feel due to the mopping. I can borrow a variable speed rotary polisher off a friend but what grade of wet/dry would i need considering the MK2 lenses are only plastic? also and cutting fluids i will need. Unless there is anyone in the mids area that wants to have a go for beer tokens?

I will be doing this to my fogs aswell as they are looking a bit misty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts