MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get one of these things fitted but there seems to be a couple of different types. There seems to be the normal 'one' but I've also seen one that has a kind of air filter/breather on the top?
What's the difference and which one should I go for on the ole 180?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Use a closed one, the filtered ones will upset the balance of the system.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Dont bother with one, just conect the crank breathers to fresh air, I did this 20k ago and its been fine, done it to most cars I've owned in the past aswell no problems.

They only connect the breathers to the inlet to make the government happy, only been doing it since the early 80's and engnes ran just fine before then.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Dont bother with one, just conect the crank breathers to fresh air, I did this 20k ago and its been fine, done it to most cars I've owned in the past aswell no problems.

They only connect the breathers to the inlet to make the government happy, only been doing it since the early 80's and engnes ran just fine before then.
If one is going to do that make sure to seal the resulting leak into the inlet manifold.

Personally I wouldn't recomend it, I've noticed how much less greasy roads have become since the late 80's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now I'm torn - lol. 2 experts with different advice. Well I want the best solution or most reliable one. So which one is it?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The engine needs breathers to allow air out that has been presurised by the running of the engine, this originally was vented to the atmosphere but it was decided by various goverments that it should be recyled through the cylinders so any oil vapour in the air could be burnt.

On most cars this isn't a problem but on cars such as the ZS180 it can cause problems with the varible VIS and such like due to oil contaminating the delicate plastics and electric motors etc containted there in.

A solution is to prevent the oil vapour reaching the VIS by either venting the crank case pressure to the atmosphere thus allowing any oil vapour also out into the atmosphere or to fit a catch tank that allows the oil vapour to drop out of the presurised air before this air passs through the combustion chamber.

It is illegal to remove parts of the emisions control systems on a car so venting to the atmosphere is illegal, although unlikly to be traced by most VOSA inspectors or MOT testers, it is also anti-social.

The disadvantages of using a catch tank are where to site it, how to connect it, the cost of one and making sure it is emptied regularly and doesn't become blocked. Advantages include the containment of oil vapours and in extreme cases one may notice engine wear becoming worse if the tank starts to fill quicker.

You decide which route you want to follow.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It is illegal to remove parts of the emisions control systems on a car so venting to the atmosphere is illegal . . .
Only if you live in California! Its not ilegal and its not going to blow oil out, you can vent it to a can if you like (mandatory for track day and drag use, 1 litre minimum) but you dont have to recirculate the air into the inlet. Oil vapour in the inlet causes octane dilution and can lead to knock which will reduce performance on the 180, mine is much more lively without the oil in the inlet and this is the most reliable solution as it guarentees no oil in the vis setup.

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
Only if you live in California! Its not ilegal and its not going to blow oil out, you can vent it to a can if you like (mandatory for track day and drag use, 1 litre minimum) but you dont have to recirculate the air into the inlet. Oil vapour in the inlet causes octane dilution and can lead to knock which will reduce performance on the 180, mine is much more lively without the oil in the inlet and this is the most reliable solution as it guarentees no oil in the vis setup.
Hmm, I'm liking this idea...

Do you get a smell inside the car from the oil vapour, though?

·
Registered
559 Posts
i know how to fit catch tank but how to make it vented to atmospere without catch tank?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hmm, I'm liking this idea...

Do you get a smell inside the car from the oil vapour, though?
No smell, I did get a smell to start with but it turned out to be a broken seal on the fuel rail which later gave way compleatly and when fixed the smell went away.

I have the pipes from the crank case going to the ground, I have a paved drive and there has not been one drop of oil on it but I do get a slightly higher than average condensation build up if I drive the car round town a lot, this is cured by a long blast. I have both the holes in the inlet manifold blocked up so no air can get in.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i know how to fit catch tank but how to make it vented to atmospere without catch tank?
Just block the hole in the inlet manifold and leave the hole on the catch tank going to fresh air to allow expansion of gasses.

·
Registered
559 Posts
have you pics or link to your solution? thanks for help anyway

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
OK spectre - why do you have to fit a tank for trag and strip use? If you don't want to have the vapour circulating through the inlet at least fit a catch tank and then vent this to the atmosphere.

You have no oil on your drive way because your cars do not wear unlike many, if you had a catch tank you wouldn't get oil in it anyway but most who do have a catch tank do get a build up of oil, if there was no tank and the engine was vented to the atmosphere this oil would go somewhere.

20 years ago it was ok to remove parts of the emissions control system, that isn't the case in 2011, have a look at the modern regulations.

James

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It is illegal to remove parts of the emisions control systems on a car so venting to the atmosphere is illegal, although unlikly to be traced by most VOSA inspectors or MOT testers, it is also anti-social.
Only if you live in California! Its not ilegal and its not going to blow oil out, you can vent it to a can if you like (mandatory for track day and drag use, 1 litre minimum) but you dont have to recirculate the air into the inlet.
And quote the whole paragraph, it is all relevent to the statment.
spectre said:
Oil vapour in the inlet causes octane dilution and can lead to knock which will reduce performance on the 180, mine is much more lively without the oil in the inlet and this is the most reliable solution as it guarentees no oil in the vis setup.
Which is why responsible owners add a catch tank to their system.

Manufactures do not add a catch tank on standard cars because most owners would never empty them.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
And quote the whole paragraph, it is all relevent to the statment.

Which is why responsible owners add a catch tank to their system.

Manufactures do not add a catch tank on standard cars because most owners would never empty them.
What we are using the catch tank for in most cases is an oil seperator which are fitted to many cars by the manufacturers! You dont seem to understand what I am suggesting as you have quoted what I said and then replied to something I didnt suggest. Octane dilution will happen if you recirculate the crank case air into the inlet, if its a hot day you will reduce the octane of the fuel to such a point that knock will occur and the 180 will back the ignition off as it has a knock sensor.

Cant be bothered quoting the whole paragraph it is not ILLEGAL to remove parts of the emissions control system, this is what you said and this is all I was replying to hence the edited quote. If it were then changing tyre brands would be agains the law as the manufacurer gets its emissions figures using low rolling resistance tyres that most people wont buy again.

·
Registered
559 Posts
uff to many small filters for me , i saw somewhere simplier job. but thanks for pic.

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I found this here in gallery. It looks simplier than that picture with too many filters.

http://gallery.xpowerforums.com/showphoto.php/photo/24172
Yeah thats my car, you dont need filters as there are mesh filters inside the rocker covers for any big bits and its not like air that gets into the cylinders that has to be perfectly filtered. I put some pipe on it to make it look neater but there is no real need. The 2 pipes I have fitted could go to a catch tank incase of engine failure this will catch oil before it hits the tarmac but I'm not to worried as I dont do drag days or track days.

The common way of fitting the 2 pipes to a catch tank as an 'in' and an 'out' on the smaller pipe that goes to the inlet will only help to seperate oil and wont give you the other benefits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts