MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Hope u all had a good christmas

Gonna change my oil while I'm off. Was just wondering what the best oil for my 180 is. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used 5w40 fully synthetic (halfords own) in mine for the last 4 years with no problems, but I am sure there will be a varied opinion on here.
Checked my oil the other day actually and had to top up about a litre, first time in the 8 years i have owned her I have had to top up like that, will be keeping a closer eye on her in the new year

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
I'm the same, but I've been using Halfords 10/40 semi synth oil for the last 5 years in my 180, no problems at all and no rattles or knocks.........I rarely top it up between oil changes. Despite being a cheapskate on the oil I usually get hold of a Rover oil filter on Ebay, I'm never sure how well made the others are.

There are loads of opinions on oil, but a lot of engineers believe that frequent oil changes using cheaper oil is better than long stints using expensive oil......especially if the filter is changed at the same time.

I also use Halford's Classic oil in My MGB GT V8, it looks a lot like the old Duckhams green oil and remains clean on the dipstick between changes.........I don't work for Halford's by the way !!

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Magnatec 10w40.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
castrol is half price in asda at the moment £10 for 4ltrs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts