MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all (again!)

Done 2 longish journeys in the car in about 10 days, is it perfectly normal of a car after an oil change to drink or consume a bit??

Cleaned the car today and did all the weekly checks to find the oil was "just" registering On the dipstick?!

Topped it up using about 1 litre I guess???

Dont really do long drives but not seen it on this car before, 116k mileage and doing over 700 miles in the next week as going on holiday, will take the oil but is this normal?

·
Lovin' the torque
288 Posts
I owned my 180 for 4 years and 65K miles and never topped up the engine oil once. The oil level will settle down a little after an oil change but it shouldn't continue dropping after that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It hasn't settled then lol!
Check it again tomorrow and fill up to max, only checked it hour after change!
Ah well, got plenty of oil so.......

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Up to 1litre of oil per 1k miles.
Yours will prob use a bit more than others at your millage as well

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Are you checking the level correctly?

·
Registered
510 Posts
My megamiler only uses oil when I use it on an autotest. Used a whole litre in September on the last one, mind you I was thrashing the nuts off it.
During 'normal' driving it doesn't use a drop and never has.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've never had to top mine up between changes, although it has only done 40k miles, so is hardly run in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Might be able to help here. My old 180 used to leak from a gasket at the front of the engine, not totally sure what its called maybe an exhaust manifold gasket but under heavy load or going up hills you could smell oil. It would often drink oil from time to time and I believed this to be the cause as the car had no other leaks and my mileage was good for a 02 (68,000). I have seen this leak on many 180's and even though this forum hasn't picked this leak up as a common fault I'm afraid it is.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I have had cars at both ends of the spectrum, my Mk1 used to drink oil for fun the Mk2 has'nt moved since last service... Like Caled says it makes sense that its something not quite right from the oil service ?

Jez

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My car on 96k does not use a drop between oil changes. Non gets sucked into the inlet either as I said in the other post (still looking for the pictures to post up, got some somewhere).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of is was quite spirited!!
Will check other bits tomorrow but cannot see anything at all?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts