MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Car is ZS180 MkII saloon

Cam belts done - recent service (oil and filter).

78k miles - no visible problems and no previous running issues noted whatsoever. Vis works fine - and has an oil catch tank fitted.

Had this recent experience:

Drove onto the motorway on Saturday and pulled out into middle lane, foot down - ran up to motorway cruising speed but admittadly accellerated very hard and pretty high into the rev range in 3rd gear to get there from the on-ramp onwards.

Engine was not stone cold, however (my error I know) was not fully warmed up - temp gauge was probably half way between cold and normal operating temperature.

Engine oil warning light came on so I immediately took foot off the go pedal, and decellerated - moving into the slow lane and dropping speed.

Once below 60mph the oil warning light eventually went out and then stayed out.

I estimate the light was on for about 20 to 30 seconds in total

Pulled over at next motorway off ramp and found a suitable layby.

Checked the oil - was fine - about 1/3 way up the level. Drove very very carefully home - no problems / noises and no reoccurance of the warning light.

Left the car overnight on level ground - checked the oil in the morning when cold, was a little lower than 1/3 between the upper and lower limits - so topped up with 2/3rds of a litre and this moved it up past the 1/2 way mark.

No visible leaks and no drips underneath on the driveway.
No smoking under accelleration / revs when stationary or on start-up.

So...... what went on here?

Was it simply oil surge caused by a combination of engine not properly warm / inertia of the car in accellerating and high revs with oil level not particularly high - or is there something else going on?

Will the engine be damaged badly?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Have you checked the electrical connector on the oil pressure switch, if that seems OK I'd try a new switch.

Right grade of oil in it.

I always bung in oil additive to help on start up.

Hope its an easy fix.

:wave:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't even know where to begin - I will look in the arhcive on here for instructions and give it a go - sounds very plausible given the circumstances.

Thanks for the pointer

Dave

Have you checked the electrical connector on the oil pressure switch, if that seems OK I'd try a new switch.

Right grade of oil in it.

I always bung in oil additive to help on start up.

Hope its an easy fix.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Possible bad connection on switch or pressure relief valve stuck open for a time

·
Registered
385 Posts
Possible bad connection on switch or pressure relief valve stuck open for a time
Possible ??

Did you run a flush thru the system before oil change??

I run zx1 metal treatment in mine and hav done in all my cars and bikes.

Worst case could be a failing oil pump, consider fitting an electric oil pressure gauge? Cheaper than a failure and peace of mind.

P.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Could be purely to being a little low on oil and or a slight fault with oil pressure switch. I would not worry if I were you. My lads girlfriends little KA did this the other week and it was a combination of it wanting about a pint of oil and her driving habits. The light only came on when she was driving a bit erratic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possible ??

Did you run a flush thru the system before oil change??

I run zx1 metal treatment in mine and hav done in all my cars and bikes.

Worst case could be a failing oil pump, consider fitting an electric oil pressure gauge? Cheaper than a failure and peace of mind.

P.
Hi
I didn't use a flush through - the oil change was done by a garage.

Is there any reliable way to check if the oil pump is failing?

If I fit a gauge (someone else will have to do it as I don't had etch knowledge) then it will tell me when the pressure drops but not the cause - I would ideally like to either identify or eliminate such a major potential failing part from the list of possible issues.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If the hydraulic tappets were not making a noise you still had oil pressure. The first sign of no oil pressure is the tappets start to tap.

·
Registered
382 Posts
...........Checked the oil - was fine - about 1/3 way up the level. Drove very very carefully home - no problems / noises and no reoccurance of the warning light.

Left the car overnight on level ground - checked the oil in the morning when cold, was a little lower than 1/3 between the upper and lower limits - so topped up with 2/3rds of a litre and this moved it up past the 1/2 way mark.
something doesn't sound right here... are you positive you are reading the dipstick correctly? From your description there would be almost 2 litres from Min to Max marks - I'm fairly sure it's less than that.
Just curious, why didn't you fill it up to Max mark when topping up?
It does sound like it was very low on oil and you suffered oil surge.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
They take 5.2 litres. My guess is they didn't put that much back in?? Especially if they used a four or five litre jack of oil??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
something doesn't sound right here... are you positive you are reading the dipstick correctly? From your description there would be almost 2 litres from Min to Max marks - I'm fairly sure it's less than that.
Just curious, why didn't you fill it up to Max mark when topping up?
It does sound like it was very low on oil and you suffered oil surge.
Agreed in principle.

I didn't change the oil - it was done by a garage when the MOT was renewed.

When I checked the oild post change it was 80% up the mark between min and max.

Have had a couple of long trips since then (mix of motorway and twisty Welsh roads - circa 900 / 1000 miles) plus I have done around 120 miles a week for the last month or so.

Hadn't checked the oil until the other day (again - yes I know - schoolboy error) so I guess it just used it up and led to a low level.

I have maintained a very close eye (and ear) on things since Saturday, so far:

- no noises either on start up or after warming up (tappety or otherwise)
- no smoke either on start up or once running
- oil warning light has not come on again
- Vis still works - (surge of noticeable power post 3.5k revs)

I therefore feel like everything so far is pointing towards temporary oil surge caused by low level / cold engine / hard accelaration combination.

Root cause bing my lack of checking of the oil / hard driving when car not properly warmed up.

I have learnt a lesson - also about how much oild these V6 engines use - reckon its used at least over a litre in 1600 / 1800 miles.

I will report back on any changes

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I guess that's what it was. I can't imagine many garages keeping fully synthetic in those massive tanks they use. Bet they used a plastic pot and didn't put full ammount in.

No worries, I'd relax at that then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts