MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Christmas eve I remembered I needed an MOT urgently as i was off on my holidays. My usual garage in East London couldn't do a service/MOT so I got in contact with Kwikfit (I know) who could.

Took my ZS180 down and returned at 6 to pick it up, they hadn't quite finished so I hung around whilst they faffed. Anyway, the point is that I drove home, had Christmas and then drove to see family up North (round trip of 350 miles). When I got back and snow had cleared I noticed that on start-up there was a fair bit of blue smoke for about the first 20 seconds, the smoke would then clear.

After checking the dipstick I noticed that the oil had been overfilled - it was off the scale so how overfilled I don't know. Took it back today and they confirmed it had been overfilled, there was much scratching of heads and "wasn't me guv" comments before they drained the sump and re-charged the oil to the correct level.

What are the implications of having too much oil for 350 miles? I guess any oil in the cat will burn off if I give it a good run but could this overfill push extra oil in to the crank and gunk up the plenum?

Note to self, don't use kwikfit again

·
The Pope
3,408 Posts
Will have filled your plenum with oil, hense the blue smoke. I doubt its done any damage, just will have filled your vis valves full of oil. Now you have the right level it should clear itself away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts