MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sorry, I've got a derv so dont know anything about the 180's apart from what I read on here and when I see them at the meets.

Most have aftermarket oil catch tanks fitted to remove the oil from the recycled oily fumes, all part of trying to keep the engines green I suppose.

But even then you get the argument that the plenum?? needs some oil to lubricate the ball and socket butterflies.

I'm sure someone will come along that really knows and offer you some better informed advice.

Have you done a "search", type in oil catch at the top of the page, that should bring some old threads and posts up that will cover your questions.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Our mk2 had tons of oil in the filter box when we bought it. It was running from the throttle body, into the box and dripping out of the bottom onto the road! Fitted an oil catch tank, problem solved.:)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
This is normal for the kv6. Catch tank will be the way forward. Most of us have also done away with the oe air filter system too.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Creepy!!!

I just rushed up from the garage after a routine under-bonnet inspection to post a new thread with the exact same title and noticed this one!

Anyway, I noticed that the bottom of the air filter cartridge was a bit oily when I pulled it out. It hadn't fouled up the element itself but it's still a bit worrying. So the consensus is that this is normal?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thing is its the front cam breather that drips and catch tanks are usually plumbed into the rear cam breather. I read thats why the link pipe from the panel filter to TB was concertinaed because of the oil drip problem.

Shouldnt really do any harm but i'd clean it out every few months or as necessary.

Maybe changing to fully synthetic oil will produce less vapour and less of a drip.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well I've got fully synth already in there.

The other thing I noticed was that the oil level was almost topping the Max marker on the dipstick. It's weird because I was very careful not to overfill her at the last change. I wonder if overfilling can cause this problem - even though as I said, I don't remember the level being so high.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well I've got fully synth already in there.

The other thing I noticed was that the oil level was almost topping the Max marker on the dipstick. It's weird because I was very careful not to overfill her at the last change. I wonder if overfilling can cause this problem - even though as I said, I don't remember the level being so high.
was the car level and adequately rested when you checked? aslong as you only put 5l in it shouldnt be over.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think the pipe between the t/b and air filter box is concertinaed to allow for the engine moving back and forward being as the airbox is secured to the bodywork.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think the pipe between the t/b and air filter box is concertinaed to allow for the engine moving back and forward being as the airbox is secured to the bodywork.
that makes more sense, but i've been told by more than one person and also read on either here or dot org that as it catchs the oil it reduces the amount that get into the panel filter housing.

The masher kit [in-line strainer] set up was a fix for this but requires frequent attention.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=35921&highlight=masher/

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
was the car level and adequately rested when you checked? aslong as you only put 5l in it shouldnt be over.
5 Liters will do it if you're doing a quick change. But in my experience if you drain her properly with flush and let the sump drip out overnight you're gonna need an extra top up to get her up to the mark.

Yeah, the car was as level as the last time I changed the oil and the engine was sitting in a frigid cold garage for over 24 hours. So, I dunno.

Another thing I noticed was some splatters of oil on the hose that comes out of from under the engine cover right next to the dipstick. And it seemed to be coming from under the engine cover rather than the dipstick. It's due for an oil change anyway so we'll see.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
If you take the hose off there's usually a good ammount of oil in the V's of the concertina'd pipe so it's a double feature I reckon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts