MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a misfire on my 180 a while back so I changed the plugs and it solved the problem. Anyway, I had the car in for an oil change the other day and I am sure I heard one of the guys say to the other one that they didn't have the exact filter for my car so he produced this other one and stuck it on!

The thing is I was under the car with the guy and the new filter was only about 2/3's the size of the old one. I asked him if that was normal and he said that it wouldn't make a difference. Surely a smaller filter can't do as good a job filtering 5.8 ltrs of oil through it like a bigger one does??

Anyway, it has now developed a different type of hesitancy just as I change gear at low speeds. Can anyone shed any light or tell me if the filter is ok?
I did have a TPS fault code thrown up when I stuck my reader on but don't know if that's related or not. I have cleaned both the TPS and ICV.
Here is a pic:

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think I would take it back and say you arnt happy and want the correct filter stuck on.

Maybe OK while you have new oil, but as it gets older may get clogged up. Ring up a motor factor and get the right Unipart No. for the filter so they dont try it again.

Make sure they stick in some new oil in the filter before fitting it, so it doesnt have to charge it up.

:wave:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
that filter is for a 1.4/1.6/1.8 4 pot k-series. Not a 2.5 V6

Take it back and get the bloke to fit the right one! How does he no that wont effect the oil pressure?
Thats just lazy on his behalf not bothering to get the right one! Sound like bodgers to be fair

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going back monday for a different filter and if it's not the same size as the old mg one then I will tell him to do one!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I drove around with a short filter for a whole year before realizing it was the wrong part. The guy at the parts shop knew it was the wrong part but just wanted to make the sale.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had a misfire on my 180 a while back so I changed the plugs and it solved the problem. Anyway, I had the car in for an oil change the other day and I am sure I heard one of the guys say to the other one that they didn't have the exact filter for my car so he produced this other one and stuck it on!

The thing is I was under the car with the guy and the new filter was only about 2/3's the size of the old one. I asked him if that was normal and he said that it wouldn't make a difference. Surely a smaller filter can't do as good a job filtering 5.8 ltrs of oil through it like a bigger one does??

Anyway, it has now developed a different type of hesitancy just as I change gear at low speeds. Can anyone shed any light or tell me if the filter is ok?
I did have a TPS fault code thrown up when I stuck my reader on but don't know if that's related or not. I have cleaned both the TPS and ICV.
Here is a pic:
Your mech is a total W^*ker and the sort of Tw$t that makes a bad name for proper mechanic's
Take the motor back and make them fit the proper size!!

Paul

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's in Monday, and I am going to try and get my money back as well or at least some of it off. That may of ended up costly. Either way, that's put me off 'em!!
Thanks for all the info guys :yup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, 'that'll do' isn't good enough. What a numpty, I am really annoyed about this. Someone's pride and joy and he could of ruined it!!!!

·
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG
341 Posts
Make absolutely sure they fit MG Rover part number LPW100161 (previously LPW100160 but there is no difference, just a change of supplier).

The others use LPW100181.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make absolutely sure they fit MG Rover part number LPW100161 (previously LPW100160 but there is no difference, just a change of supplier).

The others use LPW100181.
It's a Unipart one on there so completely different number, but it definitely has the right one on now. Unipart website does confirm the number GFE420 for the V6.
Mind is at rest!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts