MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering a vent to air via a catch tank and plugging the hole to the inlet manifold. Now just to make 100% sure I have the right pipes I'll refer to an old picture I found on here:

There are two pipes on the image attached, A and B that appear to vent from teh crankcase. Could I simply remove both of these from their attachments to the inlet manifold (plug the holes) and feed them into the top of a catch tank, then have an outlet from the catchtank to air (via a small filter).... could I get away with no filter and vent these both direct to air?

Any pointers or experience. I have done a fair bit of searching on here and found a lot of different ideas, but am still a little vague about the original pipes origins, hence my reference to the standard pictured diagram.

Attachments

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
A+B are the main ones you want to be putting to a catch tank

C is the fuel line so don't get cutting that one lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Be careful where you cut B - there are 2 crank cases and 2 outputs on each. Here's a diagram I found on the plumbing.

Here is a pic of how my catch tank was done, I think it's ok:)

The pipes to the manifold and ait cleaner are blocked off, and cranks piped into the catch tank instead. The pipe from the top of the catch tank breathes into atmosphere (piped down to below the bumper)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pheelay, thats exactly the info I was after.

Did you notice any improvement to performance at all, I know some have mentioned they have, especially when running at temperature.

Cheers,

Adam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine was fitted by previous owner so I don't know :) I wouldn't think it gives any noticeable performance increase, the purpose is to protect the delicate plenum and vis.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The insides of the manifolds don't seem to be as fragile as people think, well the two I've had apart are ok, just get a bit "gunky" round the butterfly valves. My plan, as I have two that are ok, is to treat it as a servicable part now and open it up once a year and give all the bits a good clean and regrease. As I have two I can do this off the car at leasure and just swap them at service time. Trick is making sure you have a good seal when you rebuild them as I have spent this week with a 1500 rpm tickover and a whistling MG !!! lol. (had a tiny pin hole in the gasket sealent I used).

Oh thanks Steve too for your initial post.. I discovered the fuel line when I disconnected it thinking it was connected to the inlet manifold last week :)

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
Just be carefull with the fuel line as the rubber O ring in there is very fragile, mine still leaks no and again and it's a weird size rubber too so hard to find

·
Registered
182 Posts
Doe's anyone know the inner diameter of the hole i would have to but over A,B to the catch tank would like to do this too =)

·
Registered
559 Posts
i´ve done ventilation to atmosphere. I bought two pipes with inner diam. 9mm and same material as pipes A,B. Both A,B are 9mm outer diam at the end.
Total cost 5euros(bought from a company specialized for pipes, ventilation,... slovak company - hose type TB 324 - PA PIPE 12x1,5mm from this link http://www.gumex.sk/EN/hoses/gaseous-media/hoses-for-air-distribution-systems-of-cars/ ). I ´m not using catch tank(because you need two to pipe A,B). Few pics in my gallery.
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/album.php?albumid=118&pictureid=1073

Hope it will help my inlet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts