MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

Number Plate Light

756 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Marcus 
#1 ·
Guys,

My 260 (saloon) has failed it's MOT because of a failed number plate light.

The bulb has been changed but to no avail, it would therefore appear to be either a loose wire or a failed light.

The problem is that the garage have called to say that the only way to investigate is to remove the rear lip spoiler and this appears to be stuck down. I know that it has never been removed because I've owned it since new, however they (and I) do not want to risk damaging the boot trying to prize it off.

Does anybody know whether there is a knack to removing the lip spoiler and/or extracting the light fitting?

#3 ·
Thanks, any idea how to do it? Unfortunately I am not with the car at the moment so I can't investigate for myself!

#6 ·
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem on my my last MOT. You do indeed need to remove the lip spoiler. It is secured with 4 nuts and strong double sided adhesive tape on top of the boot. Once you have removed the 4 nuts gently tease the spoiler away from the adhesive - it is very strong but it will come eventually. The bulb holder has printed circuit board running it's length. I found that one of the terminal contacts was badly corroded and parts of the tracks on the circuit board were also corroded. I had to remove the corred terminal and solder a flying lead from one of the bulb holders. I then fed this lead through the existing terminal hole and connected it to the existing bulb lead.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

PS. Be very very very careful removing and and replacing those 4 nuts - I have lost at least 2 inside the boot structure which are still rattling around despite leaving the cloth cover off!! I ended up taping each nut to my driver so as not to lose any more.

Rgds.

Marcus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.