MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this example a few days ago. Few aches and pains but, will sort those in due course.

There is a 'hum in the bum' which I suspect is a worn N/S/R wheel bearing. Hard to say as the noise fills the whole car at motorway speeds. These cars are now exceptional value if you shop around carefully. This example two previous owners and 45,000 miles with four months MoT.

Been driving my other 120+ in trophy blue since I bought it new nine years ago in 2003. Cannot ever remember reading of a noisy wheel bearing on one of these cars. Anyone know of instances of noisy wheel bearing on MGZS or similar spec Rover 45s and if so, which bearing was it?

Being used to the nicer leather steering wheels on my cars for over thirty years now, the 'feel' of the plastic one on this ZS 120 was not nice. I had a spare Rover leather steering wheel and that fitted a treat as I was able to use the original MG ZS AirBag with the leather Rover steering wheel as it was identical to the Rover one in size and dimension. Much nicer :~

This is the other car mainly used by my better half since we got it. Apart from routine renewals, car has been faultless.

I removed a set of Front Fogs from a scrap yard R45 recently and will fit those to this Grey ZS when time allows. When removing these from a breaker yard car, always get the Relay from the fuse box in the engine bay and the double fog Switch from the fascia. That's what I did with the blue car which came without front fogs. They were about an extra £200 when I placed the new order so gave them a miss. The leather interior and 17" alloy wheels were quite costly too.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Bargain buys out there at the moment, hope MG6 going racing in the BTCC this year might revive interest in the MG brand.

Least you are supporting it with your two, looking good by the way.

:wave:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
......Being used to the nicer leather steering wheels on my cars for over thirty years now, the 'feel' of the plastic one on this ZS 120 was not nice. I had a spare Rover leather steering wheel and that fitted a treat as I was able to use the original MG ZS AirBag with the leather Rover steering wheel as it was identical to the Rover one in size and dimension. Much nicer......
Was going to ask if that was the wheel that came with the car. Are you going to conect the audio remote?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Being used to the nicer leather steering wheels on my cars for over thirty years now, the 'feel' of the plastic one on this ZS 120 was not nice. I had a spare Rover leather steering wheel and that fitted a treat as I was able to use the original MG ZS AirBag with the leather Rover steering wheel as it was identical to the Rover one in size and dimension. Much nicer :~
Now you just need to replace the plastic "not nice" handbrake by a "much nicer" leather one from a TF ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was going to ask if that was the wheel that came with the car. Are you going to conect the audio remote?
I have that facility on my 1.8 Rover 45 Connoisseur but, after years of reaching for the knobs on the Head Unit, it's hard to readjust and break that habit. I still reach over for them :rolleyes:.. :)

My son has fitted the part loom to another Rover and it works, but he told me it's a lot of fiddly work. In any event, the previous owner has fitted a SONY single slot CD head unit to this ZS so it would not work with that I suppose.

The wheel which came with the car is very basic and unattractive, not nice to use. Lots of little pimples on the wheel which does not give it a nice feel. Old style plastic wheels I used in cars 30-40 years ago were much nicer to use. The Rover leather wheel in the picture is so much nicer and I'm glad i took the time to fit it.

I tried to fit a slightly smaller and nice leather steering wheel from a 99 MGF I have. It fits well but, the SRS plug is different to the one on this later car. I did consider obtaining an earlier SRS AirBag connector and splicing that instead of the MGZS's one but, decided against it. The Rover wheel is a nice option to use anyway. Here's the MGF wheel which is neater and smaller :~

Would prefer to fit that ...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The driver's door on this car hangs about 3mm below ideal so requires a slam to shut. Decided to rehang the door which means the four 12mm Hinge bolts need to be loosened to do this. First you need to remove FIVE 10mm bolts which hold the wing so that it can be carefully pulled away from its location allowing access to reach those four hinge bolts.

Pulling away the wing reveals a pile of leaves and road crud trapped at the bottom of the wing. No surprises there, seen this before :~

Remove the self tappers and plastic fastener to release the front wheel arch lining. That reveals even more leaves and crud :~

You can then tease out all the filth :~

Quite a lot. Bet the other side is just the same. Another job for later :~

Then a light mist spray with weak washing up liquid solution in a Mist Sprayer you can get from a garden centre. Work that in with an old washing up nylon brush. Then a couple of well directed watering cans of warm water gets that inside wing pristine and free of filth:~

Now to reach down and loosen the four 12mm Hinge Bolts. Use a good spanner or socket on them, they will be tight. First the two lower hinge bolts:~

Then the two upper hinge bolts need loosening :~

Yes, there is sufficient access without completely removing the wing :~

I used stout cardboard to support the bottom of the door in the correct alignment and when satisfied it was spot on, tightened all four 12mm hinge bolts. Then tried the door and all it needed was a slight adjustment of the looped retainer which is secured by two torque bolts. Tried the door a few more times. Much better. Then replaced the wing and secured the arch lining and job done. Very much better in fact :~

Couple of leisurely hours in the strong winter sunshine was very productive... Lots of hot drinks in the cold helped too ... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts