MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been Googling and Forum Searching for info but cant find the answers that i want to hear so i thought i'd put it to ye...
I race a 25 Gti and it's way out of it's depth in its class
Just throwing ideas out there...

The ZS or ZT, it had a 1.8 Turbo engine right?
Is that engine the same basic engine as the 1.8 VVC in my 25?

Following on from that...
Can the Turbo 1.8 be fitted with ease?
I've been looking for info but can not find anybody who has done this so i'm assuming not?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've been Googling and Forum Searching for info but cant find the answers that i want to hear so i thought i'd put it to ye...
I race a 25 Gti and it's way out of it's depth in its class
Just throwing ideas out there...

The ZS or ZT, it had a 1.8 Turbo engine right?
Is that engine the same basic engine as the 1.8 VVC in my 25?

Following on from that...
Can the Turbo 1.8 be fitted with ease?
I've been looking for info but can not find anybody who has done this so i'm assuming not?
Yeah it will fit no problems, you need the lower compression engine though as and standard 1.8 will be to high, best to get the whole engine from a ZT160, you will need an emerald or similar ECU as the ZT ecu cannot be reused flywheel pickup pattern is different on the 25 flywheel.

The T series turbo is an easier and cheaper fit rhough, it all depends on your regs.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The 1.8T K series is only found in the ZT160, it should be a straight swap mechanically but you may have problems with the electronics as the ZT has a BMW loom. You maybe able to swap sensors between it and your current engine but I have no idea if the ECU will work.

It might be worth asking a few questions on the ZT/75 owners forum, there are some very clever folk on there.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The 1.8T K series is only found in the ZT160, it should be a straight swap mechanically but you may have problems with the electronics as the ZT has a BMW loom. You maybe able to swap sensors between it and your current engine but I have no idea if the ECU will work.

It might be worth asking a few questions on the ZT/75 owners forum, there are some very clever folk on there.
ECU wont work as I already said, the trigger pattern on the 1.8T flywheel is different to that on the PG1 flywheel you will have to use in the ZR. Thats not even thinking of the problems overcoming the fact the ECU is linked to all the other body electronics including the speedo instruments.

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys
Probably WON'T go down this line but just sussing things out
Just for interest

I've never driven a ZT,
How would the 180 compare to the standard 160 ZR engine?
Is there a noticible difference?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i was extremely tempted by the 1.8T ZT 160 before i bought my 180. Ive even heard an ex 180 owner say the 1.8T ZT was just as quick as his 180 which is unbelieveable for a heavier car with a smaller engine, but could be? That engine would have been awesome in a ZS.

I did think the ZS 120 had the same 1.8 K-series engine as the ZT 160 1.8T and maybe you could retro fit a turbo, rather than try to fit a german speaking engine out of a ZT into a brummy speaking ZS.

Cant speak for the ZR 160, no experience in one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts