MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good and bad news. Reading in Autsport that MG might pull the plug on the programme for next years Le Mans assult as an official entrant. Works assistance would be provided though.

Reason - They want to promote and race the X80 car. Not sure if this also a Le Mans project for the GTO category or a one make category.

We all thought that Dyson had purchased a chassis (EX257) but confirmation has always been denied. The Dyson thing is not dead though, it is felt that they also will be purchasing not one but two chassis'. Ex works! This perhaps due to the works pulling out.

I'm quite suprised that the works team are even thinking of pulling the plug. This is a 3 year programme and I would have thought that in its 3rd year wins would be common place especially at Le Mans. Reap the advertising etc.

Things might change though.

Can anyone else shed any light on the subject. Don't wish to be a scare monger.

Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading in this weeks Autosport the ACO are going to restrict all LMP675's in attempt to attract privateers to the category and to discourage "works" teams to the 675.

They want more manufactuers to contest the LMP900. This ruling is due to take place for the 2004 race. This probably explains the above thread.

Jim

·
Supporting RML in LMES & Dyson In ALMS
2,085 Posts
I reakon that the ACO are scared that one of the MGs will win the whole race and not just the 675 class.

There is only one thing for it :

1) an MG wins this years race,

2) gets automatic entry for next year (the works team has to enter),

3) wins 2003 as well and retires to let the privateers.

What does everyone reakon???

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably option 3. However, I wouldn't rule out outright victory for this year. They have the speed, will do less pit stops to the LMP900 cars and have a great driving squad. Don't forget they have past winner on board in Mark Blundell as well as Anthony Reid who has a 3rd place finish in the Alpha Porsche he shared with Needell and David Sears.

Ihope they have the reliability!

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts