MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 180 back from the repairers (got hit from behind a few weeks ago). The stereo turns on fine, not asking for a code etc, but theres no sound from any of the speakers (radio or cd), which is strange because they changed the rear bumper. So I rang the repairers and they don't know why this has happened.

Can anyone else shed light on this, is there a fuse for the speakers?

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Just got the 180 back from the repairers (got hit from behind a few weeks ago). The stereo turns on fine, not asking for a code etc, but theres no sound from any of the speakers (radio or cd), which is strange because they changed the rear bumper. So I rang the repairers and they don't know why this has happened.

Can anyone else shed light on this, is there a fuse for the speakers?
Nope, no fuse.
Better whip out the stereo and have a look.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right it works when it wants to. i.e. will turn car on and no sound from speakers but can see the cd being read and playing, then say I get out the car and come back after a while, it may work when I start the car again, then again it might not. It's not like I'm fiddling with any of the wires, all I'm doing is turning the car on, FRUSTRATING!

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
I'm with Roverman. Get the headunit out and leave the radio on with the volume up. Check for a poor connection on the plug on the back of the head unit. Failing that i would suggest checking for a short on one of the speakers wires. A dead short will cause the head units protection circuit to cut the output to the speakers to protect the head units amp. Invest in a cheap multimeter it will help you check the voltages and impedance.

·
ZS180 MK1
152 Posts
Is it aftermarket or standard?

In my zs (mk1), there are 2 plugs that plug into the iso block or radio. One of the blocks contain all the power connections. The other block contains all the speaker connections. They are easy to identify as the speaker block will usually have all 8 wires connected, and each pair of wires is usually colour coded.

Check that this block is firmly seated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts