MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 180 has been doing my head in a bit recently. Due to it being decatted with a duplex backbox its rather droney while driving around normally.
I was thinking of just sticking a piper on there to reduce the noise a little but then I would have a hole one side with no tailpipe.....:bah:

So I took some inspiration from the MGTF/ZR160 and decided to fit a valve in the 2nd tailpipe.

Exhaust flap from MGTF

Took quite a bit of messing around to reposition the actuator arm because it was doing the oposite from what I wanted. Basically on the TF, it stays open at idle and closes to reduce noise higher up the rev range. Now I wanted the opposite. So re-welded the pivot of the arm about 180 degrees around.

Not the best welding I have done but its strong :)

Cut and fitted to the tailpipe

On the car. Just need to connect vacume pipe to the inlet and actuator now with a fishtank valve in line (inside behind the dash somewhere) so I can adjust the vacume which will determine when the valve opens.......

At the moment it constantly shut (untill I fit the pipe) and the noise reduction is huge!!

More pics to come

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Make me one!

Nice work dude.

EDIT: I was thinking or manual switch to control this rather than done by pressure. I have a spare throttle body in the garage so I might have to have a play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts