MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was an apprentice, I used to work on Mg Roadsters/GT's and Midgets. I could not afford one at the time and have watched the prices over the years just go up and up and then seeing various programs about restoration and the cost involved.

So I took the plunge and decided to buy a modern version to avoid the rust issues and bought myself a 04 plate TF Spark at a reasonable price as a project and what a project to start with.

Brake's back and front, pads and discs all round needed, suspension upper arm bushes gone, no service (MG wise) history but local garage bills for last 3 yrs. Water getting in passenger door, rims kerbed, exhaust flex pipe weld broken. Looks like the second Key has been snapped in petrol cap and the fuel gauge only shows 1/2 full when the tank is brimmed, under body coolant pipes corroded and a wheel a bearing gone.

This is not to mention future work in the winter to do, cam bet - tensioner -water pump-up rated head gasket - bottom rail.

So I've spent the last week doing the paint work and interior and cleaning under the bonnet area and cleaned/treated the hood.

The parts will be arriving this week, Tuesday onward:

front pads
front discs
rear pads
rear discs
s/s under body water pipes
2x upper arm kits
badge rear
wheel bearing

I'll deal with the fuel gauge later.

If all parts turn up, I'll be working a marathon Friday night and Saturday to get the work done.

Then I might be able to have a drive on Sunday ( here's hoping).

Welcome to sports car ownership :)

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Nice to see you are still around and good luck with the project.

Do you still have the ZR?:)

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
I keep on seeing "N" reg MGF's going for £650 - £850 and they do look good, but limited parking and a wife who reckons a ZS and a Punto are enough, means it just a dream.

Had Midgets, then MGB's for the last 30 odd years, after my last B looked too rusty to get through the next MOT decided we were too old to get in and out of a MGF/TF gracefully, so got the ZS.

Best of luck with the rebuild hope it all goes well.

:wave:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
My last car before the ZS was a Range Rover, so easy to get in and out of that, and a V6 espace before that so I'm not quite sure why we got a MGF last year as a project car except it's so much fun.

Good luck with the spark, looking foward to the photos.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Paul, Still have the ZR and stll going great.

Dont do that much driving now as I'm working in Newcastle so gets to do 6 mile a day at the mo, with a run out at the weekend to clear things out.

Just an update on the project, rear brakes discs/pads fitted last night. Exhaust removed and at my mate's to be welded, should get back for Friday night so I can fit it.
Picking up what I think will be the ss water pipes and upper arm repair kit tonight and will start this job as soon as I get in. Not a big job but pain cos you have to remove the front bumber and crash/crumple bar to get to the subframe front bolts, then it depends on how long/abused the bearings have been left for, which will reflect the removal time.

see ya later

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,

Up date so far on the project.

The package I picked up turned out to be the new wiper blades and not the ss water pipes and suspension kits. But my mate brings the exhaust pipe back so fits this.
Call to Abington MG again and they advised they got the order but not dispatched it, why, it was ordered last week, anyway call back from them and there on a over night for Friday (which means collection on Sat as I'm at work). So Saturday morn picks the parts up 0830, back home 0850.
As Ive removed and done all the prep-work (removed old bearings and cleaned everything ready for new parts through the weeks evenings), starts work 0900, fits bearings to upper suspension joints and then assembles the o/s first followed by brake caliper discs/pads. Completes n/s suspension fits discs and pads (with out locking pins, there's a reason see later). Fit subframe legs, crash bar and front bumper. Greases suspension and fit wheels, drops car from axial stands and pulls car on the the drive (always better working in day light rather than inspection light).
Jacks front of car up on the n/s, slacken drive shaft nut, remove the brake caliper pads/discs again, trackrod end, ball joints and abs via cable under bonnet as the bolt on the sensor will not come out. Remove and replace wheel bearing and then reassemble joints/track rod end, caliper disc/pads (with locking pins this time), tighten drive shaft nut, wheel back on and drops car to ground, swift recheck that all wheel nuts are tight as all wheels have been removed at various times through the week, this is now 1720 and I'm due to visit the farther-in-law at hospital 1800hrs.
Gets cleaned up and changed, still had 10mins spare to fit new wipers.

Drives car to hospital, approx 10 mile, all ok, rumble from wheel bearing gone,as is the movement felt through foot brake due to upper suspension arm bushes.
The drive is not as refined as my ZR, but this is a 2 seater and as I've never driven/been a passenger in a TF before so I cant compare the drive. If there's anybody close by and would like to meet to compare would be helpful.

Been out for a couple of 20 ish mile drives and all ok, Sunday night fits new plugs/air filter, now ready for oil/oil filter and gearbox oil change,

Then I've got to re-align doors mainly the n/s as the window is not sealing correctly. Lightly rub down 2x new badges and apply a clear coat (to stop them de-laminating so quick) then fit them.
Then I'll get the wheels sorted.
Decided not to fit the ss water pipes as yet, will do these when I do the up-rated head gasket, cam belt/water pump ect.

So I'm having a day of on Monday, only thing to do with car is to drive it.

Happy days for now.

:)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You have been busy.

Not sure about the TF but the ride in our F (and the ones I test drove) is completly different to the saloons and hatchs we have.

IIRC you can adjust the glass in the doors without adjusting the door.

Enjoy the driving, make sure the roof is down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we got some sunshine today so an outing with the top down is on the cards.

Going back to the door/glass adjustment, the n/s door fitting is high at the front and low at the back compared with the body line. Both doors are not flush at the rear, door catch adjustment may remove this.
I've measured the glass in the up position on both sides and are the same at 13.5". The n/s glass actually comes inside the roof seal while the drivers side sits on the out side and seals ok. The door card needs to be removed and then there all kinds of adjustment available. There's loads on the Rover Tech cd and WEB about adjustment. Just need the wife out of the road s I can get on(lol).

The driving experience is totally different, but it would be nice to drive/be a passenger in another to compare.

Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on the project.

Petrol gauge issue is sorted, was a matter of how the fuel goes in and nothing to do with the tank sender, appears these can be a bit fussy when filling up, anyway 40 ltrs and it now showing a full gauge.

Door / sealing windows to hood, O/s door now adjusted and ready to test with some water. n/s door to do tomorrow night.

On the road tests so far all appears to be good with the work I've done so far, so I'll just keep cracking on, not much left to do.

Remove replace front and rear badges, ns door, touch up wheels and then its wait until winter to uprate the headgasket/cambelt ect :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another update,

Well Ive adjusted both doors and now they fit spot on, I've adjusted the windows and both appear to be sealing ok, the car has been out when its been raining, both times parked and had no trace of water coming in from the door mirror area, fingers crossed that's fixed it. Need to test when the cars moving to see if it fully water tight.

Was out for a drive yesterday afternoon with the hood down on the back roads between gateshead and Corbridge, car love's those country lanes, suspension work carried out by me has sorted the knocks.

A 90% of the rattles from the drivers door have been sorted thanks to the correct fittings being fitted, the window had been broken at some time before I got the car as there were the remains of glass in the bottom of the door which I removed , I'm lucky to have a Rover/MG breaker close by and sourced the fittings from them (a blue clip and retaining plate) had been removed by the last repairer.

I'm not happy with the welded exhaust so I'll price a new one from the factors or I have a new Streetwise front pipe with a flexi section I might chop up and use on the TF.

But its coming together well so far.

Even more happy motoring :MG:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts