MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

Looking to pick up a MK2 180 saloon next week. :)

Intend to undertake some immediate preventative measures to increase chances of longevity.

1. oil catch tank
VIS on the car is fine so would like it to stay that way - seen a blue catch tank kit on the moto-build website for about £80. Anyone recommend this (or a better alternative)?

2. clutch servo mechanism
Understand that these are prone to breaking (plastic parts and weak bracket?). Was told that an enthusiast regular had produced a much better alternative (metal parts?) and that it was available via this forum. Anyone point me in the right direction?

3. Back box
Car has regular rear box with what looks like a normal pipe without a trim. Fancy myself an X-power? version that I have seen on Youtube - looks and sound nice - not arsed about power increase so just back box will do (I won't be upgrading the engine for power although may at some point go for a BMC kit to improve engine breathing). I think that the X-power exhaust is some sort of authorised aftermarket MGR product that may still be available somewhere? Anyone point me to a link or recommend / advise of different / better way forward?

Also - any other key preventative mods / improvements that you think I should consider - feel free to advise :)

PS: Car has done circa 50k - what is the recommended (not factory but actual owner experience) mileage to change the cam belts.

Thanks in advance
Dave

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts

If I'm right there are 2 brands of XPower exhausts. One is from Janspeed which looks the same as the OE (slash cut) but with a bigger bore. The second is I can't remember the brand which is an inwardly roll.

You can contact Janspeed if you like the OE. They probably won't sell as XPower though. I have the Janspeed XPower backbox and it rasps nicely.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Belts are mileage and age related recommended change, if yours havnt been done the age bit will have passed.

Worth getting waterpump, tensioners etc done at the same time, and also check the thermostat housing is OK. If its not you will see orange muck in the V by the pipes.

Think the belts would be my first thing to sort, if they go bang will be a big bill.

I've got a derv, first thing I did was belts, 3 and a 1/2 years ago, think the dervs recommended every 4 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, I will take them into account

Regards
Dave

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
You will need to remove the engine cover to see the thermostat housing for leakage.

Belts change is 6 yrs or 90k whichever first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All great advice, many thanks.

I am looking to agree with the vendor (trade) for them to do the belts and tensioners and at the same time replace the water pump and the thermostat as precautionary measures.

Presuming they do this as part of a "deal", what sort of price on cost of parts would be fair - I am thinking circa £120 but may be miles off so would appreciate a steer?

Looking at the oil catch tank, it seems a fairly simple mod that could be done by a numpty like me lol :)

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Is an engine out job for the cam belts, usual price range is £500 - £700 parts fitted, as far as I recall just the belts tensioners etc are best part of £200, the rest is labour costs. Do a search on here for cam belts, there are plenty of discussion on them.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Many ZT's and ZS's make good value cars but a lot are for sale as the belts need doing.

I myself bought a MK2 ZT 190 which I love but the price reflected the 900 cost of belts, waterpump, thermostate and full service that was required. Plus side is 16K later big smiles and you know that the cars good for years to come.

If and when you have belts done get the other parts done at same time, as most of cost is labour.

If you need a price to do this many on here can offer the service

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is an engine out job for the cam belts, usual price range is £500 - £700 parts fitted, as far as I recall just the belts tensioners etc are best part of £200, the rest is labour costs. Do a search on here for cam belts, there are plenty of discussion on them.
Gas Axe will do this without taking your engine out :yup:

·
Mk1 ZS180 Saloon XPG
341 Posts
Gas Axe will do this without taking your engine out :yup:
So will anybody else who knows the job, the engine does NOT need to come out.

OP - Make sure the seller knows the complexity of the cambelt job, some mechanics run and hide when faced with the job, they simply won't touch them.

You cannot get OE Mk2 back boxes anymore so when it comes to replacement you have to go stainless steel. I see no point in replacing the thermostat as a precaution, if it's all good then leave it as it is. It's not unusual for the job to disturb the seals on the injector rail so don't undertake it if it doesn't need doing.

Take note of the post from Lewerty as well. The tanks rust due to lack of underseal (MGR cost-cutting) and thats an MOT failure. Guess what, new tanks are also NLA.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Belts are £90-£120 on their own (with tensioner and idler), water pump is £45-£60 and stat is £45 for a plastic stock Item or £90 for an uprated metal one. Engine stays in place and air con does not need to be de gassed even though the RAVE says it does. Hard job and will take even a decent mechanic a good time if he's not done it before. I would not trust the dealer to do it properly if you are negotiating a price with them, take the discount and get it done somewhere you trust.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sound advice above, take the discount if you can. Pop in to AA service centre or Xpart Service Centre and get a quote then take this to dealer your buying the car from and he may meet you half way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts