MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Any chance you may enter TOTB This year.

Would be good to see you up north.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'd like to try TOTB. But not in this car.
Maybe in the MR2 next year when she is finished :)

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
you wont be far off fastest mg in the country next year !!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm sort of hoping that I'm already the fastest stock bodied MGB in Europe Dave :)
Full steel body. Full interior and glass. Original front and rear suspension. Still running a Rover V8 (albeit a 4.6 now) and stock axle running standard MGB 1800 shafts. And the engine is an all stock 100,000 mile Rangie lump that has not been rebored yet. The engine has all stock internals except for forged pistons.

The only real changes are the 3 speed auto box and prop. And the slapper bars I made for the rear springs.
I dont have a plastic body over a pro tube chassis. But I have just fitted a roll cage because I got a bit worried last time out :)

If I get a flat 10 or a high 9 this year I'd like to think I might be in with a shout at some recognition for the car at last...But I dont think it will be in the MGCC magazine :)

·
12,325 Posts
quote perry
"I'd like to think I might be in with a shout at some recognition for the car at last"

you earned that way back mate, what youve achieved in a relatively short space of time and without big spending is incredible.
I think in general people dont understand the numbers, to put it in to perspective your standing 1/4 mile is just 6 tenths shy of a 1000 bhp bugatti veyron...the worlds fastest car....and a good second ahead of all the ferraris, lambos etc.
Again a second doesnt sound much but up the 1/4 mile its a lifetime.
You need to get someone with a lambo or similar to race you up the strip for a video then folk will realise just what you have built.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hmm!!
Never thought of it that way mate.
So I'm close to a Veyron time eh :)

As you say. Folk dont realise just what a huge gap 1 second is on the strip eh. Some of the guys at work will look at all the work I put in over several months and wonder why I'm happy to have gained 4/10ths :)

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
that is a proper monster of a car

get some pics of the full thing once it's finished, it's going to look even more nuts than it already does!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If you like the rear arches. Just wait until the new Pro Street Bonnet is finished!!
Purely for the look mind :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Tonights attempt!
First coat of primer to find low spots and lines in the fibreglass bonding and filler :)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Perry

I like it, finish looks good, going to look real special with the new arches.
When you planning to be out next?

Eddie

·
12,325 Posts
looks like darth vaders helmet on your bonnet...lol

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here she is from the Pod today!!

Eddie!
I'll be at the Fast Show for some serious testing :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Update Eddie!!
I'll be at the Pod this Sunday. Maybe Sat 13th and now the whole weekend of the fast show. Its my Sons (Jason) birthday weekend and he is calling in his labour on the nnew bonnet by wanting to run the car :)

The new bonnet has just been an aside really. I've been struggling with the new carb and manifold. She just keeps bogging off the line. I think last Sundays visit got this nearly sorted after many main jet and accelerator pump jet and cam swaps.
She now idles warm at 900rpm and will rev up smoothly when I stamp the pedal to the floor. I just need to try this off the line under load next. Which is the reason for next Sundays visit. The roll cage is now fitted apart from the front legs have not been welded yet. The sparco seat and harness are in, but I'm not keen on the seating position to be honest. I'll get used to it I reckon. I'm used to lolling back in my old armchair seat. All this bolt upright stuff feels too rigid. But as I keep getting told. I'll be grateful of the support if she goes over :)

I'm lucky to have a car to run at all right now. The Holley 600 developed a fault, which started as a rough idle with black smoke. Which cleared after holding the revs up a bit. I just though it needed the idle circuit tweaking.

Luckily I took it to Tricky's workshop (My mate with the 5.2 TR7) last weekend for some testing. I told him what the problem was. "it will start on the button with no pedal, then dies after 2 seconds when it richens out"
Luckily again, he was looking under the bonnet when I turned the key. She started and dies. I left the ign on and went around to talk to him. I looked across to his workshop and told him I could hear water trickling somewhere. Just then he shouted "Pel! there's petrol coming out of your air filter" !!
I shut it al down and found the primary float had filled and sunk. It had almost drained the 1.5 galon race tank into the engine :(

I took loads of turning over with the plugs out and pumping oil into the bores before I was happy that the petrol had left the bores.

I chucked a fresh gallon of oil in and after nicking a float from Tricky's carb she fired up and idled ok. But only after fitting a set of stock Rover V8 spark plugs. Even after drying my C55 plugs they would not fire the engine. I'm going to clean them with carb cleaner and try again on Sunday.

Now I have 2 new plastic floats to fit on Sunday at the track. As well as another oil and filter change before I try a nasp run.... If I had tried to crank it over with a gallon of petrol in the manifold and some cylinders I dread to think what would have happend.

Anyroad up!
I do have a new set of low profile plugs which should be good for 150 shot at least. So thats where I'll start on sunday if the nasp launches are ok.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Perry

Great that it's ready for shake down but the fuel incident is one of those ops moments that we fear, that said, it was picked up and dealt with so other than some minor bore wash all good.
I would imagine it's going to require a bit of tinkering at the track to iron out the bugs, but when done it's going to be an absolute animal mate.

I'm off the Blackpool in the morning to finally pick up my cage, car is currently sorn while I finish off a few things, hope to be out racing against Neil some time soon.

Not sure if I'll make POD this Sunday as I have things to do for Mark but I'm getting real itchy feet and can't wait to get back out.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
If it had gone the wrong way!
I would have had to sell some kids for medical research to buy a new engine I reckon :)

I've just come in from the garage after working until 4 today. And she's now strapped on the trailer with the truck full of stuff ready for tomorrow !!
Local weather says very bright, very cold, and dry with not a lot of wind. Its zero C outside right now and she looks lovely with a tint of frosting on the top surfaces :)

I've just written my track notes for the morra!

1. Oil change and run for 20 mins.
2. Oil and filter change and run till its at full temp.
3. Fit new plugs and try nasp launches.
4. Adjust carb until bogs gone.
5. Try one pass at 150 of gas.
6. If 5 is ok try one pass at 225 of gas.
7. If new plugs hold out try 250 of gas.
8. If new plugs dont last then fit the C55's and try a 300 shot on safe settings to see how she goes.

Then its all down to the law of sod eh??

I'm looking forward to seeing Neil run again. I love that little car of his...No, what I actually like is the look on other racers faces as he sails past them on the strip :) :)

·
12,325 Posts
good luck tomorrow perry.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
1st run really bad with no traction. Even lit the rears up at 90mph on the third attempt at activating the gas.
2nd run launched off gas with a 1.9 60 foot and activated at 100 feet out. She hooked up and went like stink. She ran a 7 second 1/8 to just under 100mph and then all hell let loose.

She melted number 3 plug and blew the head gasket on the other bank to smitereens !!
Number 8 guzzled a shed load of water and number 6 ate its way to freedom via the top of the block. Cant complain realy. These head gaskets have been on for 2 years now and have taken a shed load of abuse.

I'm going to do a repair on the block and chuck it al back together for the fast show by hook or by crook. But I first need to make sure I havent bent a rod in number 8. It was knocking like mad on the over run as I came off. Possibly hydraulic lock ??
There was a thick plume of white smoke from the offside pipe and from a picture a mate got it looked like there was a small fire under my drivers side slick as it all let go.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Ouch and ouch again, that's some serious NOS det by the looks of it, that new set-up must be making a load of power going by the 1/8 time and its low gas shot.
Perry, I feel your pain mate, I know things break at this level but it still leaves you with that feeling somewhere between cringe and sick.
Mate, let me know if there is anything I can do to help?

Edd

41 - 60 of 66 Posts