MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went the mph show at the nec yesterday and mg motor uk had a stand there . At last i,ve seen the mg6 in the flesh and its made my mind up once and for all its not good infact i would go as far as say its rubbish and the flagship model only has 160 bhp and i was talking to the guy there and he said no other engines with more power are in the pipeline the likes of ford, vauxhall etc must be laughing there socks off a perfromance car these days should be at least 200bhp . Dont like the car at all it just doesnt do anything for me looks wise just looks like a run of the mill car, mg,s are meant to have a presence on the road stand out a little look sporty, you look at the rover25,45,75 Then put the ZR,ZS,ZT next to them they look so much more aggresive with the body kit and grill etc. Didnt think much of the interior either sorry if i,ve upset anyone but i think the new mg isnt going to appeal to the serious drivers out there who want a performance car it just looks pants. not quick compared to other performance cars out there dont think it will sell very well at all MG uk need to do better than that

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
What you have to bear in mind is that MG is now like MG Rover rolled into one. The MG6 is the new Rover 75. Given time, we will see the hot versions, i.e. the MG ZT.

And the 160bhp model isnt the flagship model.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Think the mg zero looked quite funky . Mattie dont think mg have the time to be waiting for hot versions MG has been out of the game for 5 years now well designing a whole new mg anyway because after all the tf was not the chinese was it . If they were going to make a comeback they should be coming back with a bang not a top of the range 160bhp like the mg6 so what is the flagship model then mattie ? i,m only going of the guy on the mg stand . If they want people to buy them they need to bring out something that people will say wow thats worth a look i dont think the mg6 will do that after all the MG brand is meant to be a sporting brand . And lets be honest the mg6 is a million miles from that ,only my opion of course some people may think different

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
after all the MG brand is meant to be a sporting brand . And lets be honest the mg6 is a million miles from that ,only my opion of course some people may think different
Sadly MG is now just a car brand, forget sporty, just a known name bought for £6.50 and nailed to Chinese Kias.
I feel the Chinese MGs may be another split in the MG owning fraternity - don't know whether other marques suffer the same way; some feel that the only real MGs are pre 50s, some only soft tops are real MGs, only MGBs are real MGs (mainly MGB owners), even they fall out and the rubber bumper ones are not regarded as being proper, anything post Abingdon isn't a real MG... the list goes on. Quite where a warmed over budget family hatch, that not even everyone on these forums likes, fits in I don't know

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
Think the mg zero looked quite funky . Mattie dont think mg have the time to be waiting for hot versions MG has been out of the game for 5 years now well designing a whole new mg anyway because after all the tf was not the chinese was it . If they were going to make a comeback they should be coming back with a bang not a top of the range 160bhp like the mg6 so what is the flagship model then mattie ? i,m only going of the guy on the mg stand . If they want people to buy them they need to bring out something that people will say wow thats worth a look i dont think the mg6 will do that after all the MG brand is meant to be a sporting brand . And lets be honest the mg6 is a million miles from that ,only my opion of course some people may think different
There will soon be a whole line-up of new engines upto 3.5L fron SAIC so they could do a more powerful version in the future if demanded.

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Thats basically what I meant!
The 160 is the flagship for now to appeal to the masses/company car owners.

If the new range of MG's are built at Longbridge, then whats the difference to when Honda or B*W owned them? There british designed, engineered and built, but with foreign money.

Lets remember that the MG5 and MG6 were both MGR era concepts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts