MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife has just bought a nearly mint 04 plate TF. No issues with it at all, but I notice in looking on the web that at some point it will blow the head gasket (good old Rover!). What I can't find however is whether the HC can be changed without removing the engine.

Can anyone enlighten me please, I would be grateful. I may never need to do this as the car only has 27K on the clock and my wife only does 2 or 3,000 a year. But it would be good to know as head gaskets on most cars are easy enough to do, but looking at that tight space leads me to think it could be a challenge on this beasty!

Thanks all.
Simon.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hi and:welcome:

I've got a ZS, so sorry cant help on the engine out query, I do know that its all down to loss, or low coolant.

Dont know if your one is fitted with the low level coolant warning device, if not you can buy them and fit them. Also the coolant goes from the front to the back through two pipes, these can corrode and fail, can be replaced with stainless steel pipes.

Sure some one will be on to help further with your question, I dont think they all fail.

:wave:

·
Registered
921 Posts
It is possible to do the head gasket with the engine in it is awkward but can be done Charger is doing one atm with the engine still in

·
MG ZS 120+
289 Posts
everything on the tf is a challenge due to the location of the engine but it's not required to drop the engine.

as long as you keep an eye on the coolant levels and the car is serviced correctly then hgf is not a definite.

if your car hasn't got one then fit a low coolant level sensor....brown and gammons do one and replace the coolant pipes with stainless steel ones as the std steel ones tend to rot.

one point to note though is that when the cooling system needs bleeding there are 3 bleed points......air locks are big issues on the TF and can/will cause the engine to overheat due to loss of coolant.

in the meantime just engine having the top down while the good weather lasts!!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Have a look here:- www.ukmgparts.com

have the pipes MGF/TF underfloor ss cooling pipes £64.95
engine cooling pipes £64.65
water level sensor kit £89.95 plus looks like you need a wiring loom £8. or so,

all plus p&p I expect. Just had a look at the site and the prices are a bit higher than quoted from their advert in MGCC June 10.

:wave:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have never herd of anyone take the engine out to do a HG!! thats crazy!!!!
Its not reaaly hard to do. The vvc is a bit more tricky though

Northend, just keep a close eye on ur coolent level and make sure its up to temp before giving it the beans. (oil gauge more so than the temp gauge)
Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again all.

I am used to head gaskets on Land Rovers where you can sit in the engine bay if you really want to!

Everything is fine at the moment though except that as this car was bought for my wife, I now have a hankering to get one myself!!

Cheers. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts