MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well!!
It took 7 passes to get the AFR's right. As I thought. She was running mentally rich.
I've now settled on a ratio of 2 nitrous to 1 fuel, and she runs just a tad rich still.

She made 378bhp with 602 ft/lbs of torque. Tranny losses are high, so I got 297bhp at the wheels.
But as I suspected. I'm making too much power, too low in the rev range. I guess a new cam will help sort this eh??

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is Steve!
But it should be at 4800 rpm really.
I need to have a better cam in there for a start. Then figure out if I'm having a restriction in the nitrous flow. Or maybe my heads are maxxed out on flow?

I'll be doing another big rebuild to sort this over the winter. But for the time being I have some data for next Sunday at the Pod.

At least I now know where my shift point should be with this setup.!!

This data is way different to the base data from 2 years ago on the dyno.
So I've been gear shifting too high up the rpm range.
I guess things have worn out in the cam area etc.

I just hope my back axle will handle 600lbs of torque :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 years ago ??

I meant last year :)

Sunday should be interesting. I'll be short shifting at 3000rpm to get the most from that torque figure.

I have left the setup as it was on the dyno from Saturday.

So I'll either snag that 10.99 or I'll bust the rear axle :)

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Perry good luck on dipping under that 11sec mark

·
Registered
121 Posts
great torque result
really low rpm for max power though definately need a tvr cam in there

bobs old monty ran a 12.89 @112mph at the weald on sunday so he was well chuffed although my brother drove it on that runcool2

would have liked to run mine again but no money-bad month!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Perry! I finally know who owns this car...saw it at a few shows over the last few years and always wondered what it was running ect as it looks so good in the flesh!

Will endevour to say hello if I see you around on Sunday and good luck with the Run!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Scotty!
Bob said you were not able to come over. The Monty was running strong on Sunday. But as usual the front end was tramping all over the place looking for solid grip. That car will run a very low 12 on the right day mate. I was glad that it showed up a few more modern cars on the day. Cos the bloke in the cabin was making fun of it. But he shut his mouth when the good times came in eh?

I had a chat with your Bro. Cant remember his name as usual :)

Cad!!
Just look out for a big Black Truck towing a small Black MGB GT. There should be a bloke standing next to it that looks a bit like George Clooney. That will be George Clooney. I'll be the short fat ugly ****er with grey hair standing next to him :)

Perry

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Cad!!
Just look out for a big Black Truck towing a small Black MGB GT. There should be a bloke standing next to it that looks a bit like George Clooney. That will be George Clooney. I'll be the short fat ugly ****er with grey hair standing next to him :)

Perry
Lol

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody else coming to Ultimate Street Car weekend??

If you do then make sure you have your camera on when I run. I'm sure I'm going to grenade the back axle on my launch :)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Perry

Good to meet up Sunday mate, sorry I didn’t pop back to say my goodbye, took a call went for a walk and that was that.
Shame the track was so poor, left lane was as dangerous as I’ve ever seen, that said seeing you have side ways moments mid track in the right made me cringe.
I’m 100% convinced the right day will give you that 10.??, car is very composed out of the box compared to a few months back, very consistent, I personally think you can improve on the 60’s now you have the back end under control.
I had a fun day, enjoyed my support role but I’m looking forward to getting back in the seat.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Ed!!
Great to hook up with you as alway mate..

Despite the crap track. It was a real good day for me. I was having nightmares about my new found torque (50% up on last year) after the dyno tune last week. I promised myself that I would do one run. And if she held up i would stop and take a break with a BBQ brunch. (I did my 1st run on 10% less start power. And the power build was set to 4.9 seconds instead of 2.9 seconds. And I still nearly matched my previous PB. I was only short by 2/100ths and 0.6 mph)
.This was a good 2 hour respite. Then I got back in the saddle and wasted a full bottle of gas on 6 more aborted passes as the track was so bad.

In between runs 3 and 4 we took another BBQ break as you know.

This vid is my 1st and fastest run from Sunday. Just look how the tyres hook and then let go!! I could feel the back of the car hopping up and down. Each time the tyre ripples disappear you can see mud dust being puffed off the tyres..

It was a shame about Andy's little problem eh?

On the up side though! My little modification (quick attack with the grinder) to my rear valence saw me across the finish line at over 124mph with no twitching from the rear end. So it looks like it is a problem with aerodynamics rather than tyres... Now I just need to make it look pretty eh??

NOW!!
Heres a comment that may well come back to bite me in the arse very soon.

"Based on Sundays performance. If the track is in good condition on 22/23 August for the Saturday night special weekend. I'm confident that I will actually run a 10 in 2009"

I hope she makes it. Because after the Sat night special. She is coming off the road to have a full cage proffesionally fitted over the Winter. Sod the engine mods! I nearly put it into the wall on Sunday. And I'm not happy with my basic twin hoop rear roll bar anymore. I want a decent safety cell to be over my head in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noYUx9geOyw

Perry

·
What are vis valves?
3,313 Posts
Always the way Perry, after a while .1 of a second can become very hard to find.

Must say that video is the slowest quarter mile iv ever seen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts