MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company i work for are swapping the fleet from Pug's to Vauxhall.
A guy got a spanking new Astra 1.7CDTI. 5000 miles later he was driving up the M62 near Rochdale when it started to lose speed. He ended up pulling onto the hard shoulder where the engine cut out. He tried starting it for a few minutes and when it fired up it redlined and went bang. Vauxhall had a look and said it needs a new engine. They have refused to warrant it and said it was caused by driver error!!! We are currently taking them to court. Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of getting a new Vauxhall:shock:.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
How can it be driver error, the system shouldn't let it go over the rev limiter so it shouldn't just go bang.

I suspect your fleet manager maybe putting a call in to cancel the fleet change, see how long vauxhall hold out after that.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we are ditching Vauxhall and going with Seat. We had a Skoda Octavia blow up the other year as well and Skoda wouldn't warrant that one either. Tbh the Pug's have been quite reliable. over 10 of them have done 130,000+ in 3 years and not had any major problems. We have had a few with loads of problems though. We were gonna get Golfs and Passats but VW messed us about and kept breaking promises of when they could supply the fleet so we told them where to go. If it were up to me we would get Ford (Focus/Mondeo/Transit connect).
My 307 SW 1.6HDI has done 110,000 and is just coming up to 4 years old. The only troubles i've had are engine undertray falling off, blowing headlight bulbs about 4 times a year and the turbo heatshield has sheared off and rattles. Other than the odd interior bit breaking like the glove box it's still going strong.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Our Vauxhalls are always going wrong, they often go in to 'limp mode' which isn't good when doing 120 odd and having to stop on the hard shoulder and turn it off and on again. Thankfully we are getting Volvo V70s instead now but area still have the Astra.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Our Vauxhalls are always going wrong, they often go in to 'limp mode' which isn't good when doing 120 odd and having to stop on the hard shoulder and turn it off and on again. Thankfully we are getting Volvo V70s instead now but area still have the Astra.
Useful tip if you're ever after me LOL!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My mate has got a 10 plate astra sri and he was showing me the center console,it has like a silver effect on it and its began to crack for no reason thats poor quality he said he was gona have a word with the dealer but dont know if he has of yet

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
The company i work for are swapping the fleet from Pug's to Vauxhall.
A guy got a spanking new Astra 1.7CDTI. 5000 miles later he was driving up the M62 near Rochdale when it started to lose speed. He ended up pulling onto the hard shoulder where the engine cut out. He tried starting it for a few minutes and when it fired up it redlined and went bang. Vauxhall had a look and said it needs a new engine. They have refused to warrant it and said it was caused by driver error!!! We are currently taking them to court. Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of getting a new Vauxhall:shock:.
That's shocking, it's well known with diesel engines that if the engine oil finds a way into the combustion chamber, then it will redline and burn all it's lubricating oil. It's because diesel engines have no throttle the only thing that controls the engine is the fuel going in.

I bet the turbo oil seals failed.

They're gonna lose bigtime in court.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And i though Vauxhall's were reliable. Way back in 2000 i workied for ADT and in the Leeds branch alone we had hundreds of Vauxhall's. They were uber reliable back then. You can forgive a dodgy car as long as the dealer looks after you, but when the dealer's are poor it put's you off the whole make of car.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
1.7 isnt that good an engine 1.9 is better althought hey have problems with the manifold much like the 180
sounds like its had too much oil in its sump and its ran on on it, the mazda 2.0litre diesel was very bad for it, its down to the DPF(diesel particulate filter) when its doing a drive cycle when its been revving at over 2000 revs for 20 minutes it adds diesel in on the exhaust stroke to burn all the particulates out the cat, if it doesnt complete this it keeps on doing it and it ends up filling the sump up with diesel, until it get to a level where it starts running on it, then obviosly diesel you cant turn it off, so revs until it blows itself up, nice bill of an engine, a turbo, a cat, all the sensors in the cat haha, about £7000 worth
they will probably be blaming the company for either not checking the oil level or saying they overfilled it, and that your meant to check the level weekly ect

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most people i know have said the 1.7CDTI is a much better and more reliable engine than the 1.9CDTI. The other Astra 1.7CDTI (SRI) is making a right old racket. It sounds like a transit most of the time, although it's not broken yet.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
seen a few 1.7's blow up and they are expensive to buy, its a pretty old engine as well im sure in a lot of the older vauxhall vans ect
peugeot make some of the best diesel engines, ford use a few of theyre engines in the diesels, then peugeot use the big 3 litre twin turbo ford one thats found in the jag

·
hyphoooooooo
166 Posts
seen a few 1.7's blow up and they are expensive to buy, its a pretty old engine as well im sure in a lot of the older vauxhall vans ect
peugeot make some of the best diesel engines, ford use a few of theyre engines in the diesels, then peugeot use the big 3 litre twin turbo ford one thats found in the jag
^^^ What he said, on the smaller capacity Diesels Peugeot have went the right way, my dad runs in a 2005 307 1.6HDi. Never had a hint of bother with it and decently pokey with its 110bhp + tasty torque.

Although the technology in the latest Merc diesels I work with are just so complicated I wouldn't be surprised Vauxhall have tried to up the technology but over complicated the original design of the engine.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
engines are usually good, its the emmisions controls that wrecks them...and they are meant to save the enviroment, how much emmisions are made from making these egr valves, dpf cats, and the engines when it blows them up, just so the gas is slightly cleaner out the exhaust

engines of 10 years ago where clean still and far more reliable in my opinion

·
hyphoooooooo
166 Posts
engines are usually good, its the emmisions controls that wrecks them...and they are meant to save the enviroment, how much emmisions are made from making these egr valves, dpf cats, and the engines when it blows them up, just so the gas is slightly cleaner out the exhaust

engines of 10 years ago where clean still and far more reliable in my opinion
Well I know the next gen Diesels on the Mercs are getting rid of EGR and replacing it with Selective Catalytic Reduction systems, i.e. Ad-Blue.

hopefully it helps but it's just another thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well I know the next gen Diesels on the Mercs are getting rid of EGR and replacing it with Selective Catalytic Reduction systems, i.e. Ad-Blue.

hopefully it helps but it's just another thing to go wrong.
already have that on the mazda cx7

1 - 20 of 24 Posts