MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I,m not so sure about that think i would be looking at the fords, seats, renaults and the likes before i would look at the vauxhall but then again thats me i,m not a very big lover of the vauxhalls

·
Registered
608 Posts
The new st looks so much better than the new vxr . would have the st all day long
Couldn't disagree with you more

The new ST looks pretty minging, especially the back - all the creases look like its already been rear ended. Cant say Im a fan on the front, either. The dash looks ok, if a little techy and complicated. But then Im a bit of a fan of that. But I didnt like the original focus, either. I reckon the focus that is just ending its run looks the best of the bunch.

The VXR has the looks IMHO, even though it does look like a bit of a mash of a scirocco and a megane. But then the old VXR had more power (20bhp?) than the old ST, but the old ST used to run rings around it. Lets see if they've managed to make it handle this time, and if so I think it might be a bit of stiff competition for the focus.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I really like it.

It certainly has the looks, and the interior looks cool. With a nice bit of power to boot.

I guess it will depend on the pricetag, but I think it will be a good ST competitor. :)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Very nice but I don't like cars with such pill box type windows tbh. I like a bit more glass.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Anyone one know how much they weigh.

Over 1500kg will blunt performance somewhat.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Autocar forums are giving the Focus a pretty big thumbs down, mainly cos it looks such a minger, in their opinion.

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
It looks like somebody left an old newspaper on the seat and the print has come off.

Not too sure about the front end either.

As for the Focus ST.

Fish Face !

Looks like a load of carp !

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol:
I like the interior of the Focus but i'm not convinced the Astra will handle. After all, they had enough time to sort out the handling of the last one with the Nurbergring edition and all they did was boost power on a car that was known not to be able to handle the standard power very well. New Focus will be 2ltr 4 pot turbo so it will loose the HUGE torque output of the Volvo 5 pot. Don't know what power the Focus will be running but at a guess i would say 220-230bhp. I think the Focus looks too much like a bigger Fiesta. As a few peeps on the STOC have said....If you remap the Astra you will be getting well over 300bhp on an otherwise standard car so Ford are gonna have to produce something a bit special in the chassis department to match the Astra. The Fiesta ST is due out sometime in 2011 too with an expected 180bhp upwards from a 1.6 turbo. I think that might give a 230bhp Focus a run for it's money because the Focus is a heavy car.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The RS Focus production is winding up anyway.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
As always, the production model will contain about 10% of what that concept actually looks like.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
I think the new Focus ST is quite smart. It looks good with 5 doors which is nice.

The 2.5 in the current ST must be a great engine and I'd like to own one but I'd think twice now with the cost of fuel and road tax. Going down to a 2.0 turbo is definitely the right move and the only way they will be able to compete - the current Focus ST is known for being bad on fuel and this seems to affect the used prices a bit.

The new Astra definitely has the edge in styling over the Focus though. Just like the current VXR does.

I think history will repeat itself and the Astra will be better looking and more powerful, but not as good to drive. As I understand it the new Astra chassis is the same as the old one with the addition of a Watts linkage to the rear suspension. It's supposed to be better - mainly on ride quality - but still won't match the Focus setup for handling. Oh and as usual the Golf will be the slowest and most expensive but the best all rounder.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Re: New Astra VXR why when VXR8 6.0 is under 19K

VXR8 6.0lt V8 network Q car direct from vauxhall with the only way to buy on, the price £18980

if you going to spend the money do it properly.

Or Buy the same spec jag, bmw but of course that will be near 50K

Vauxhall understand keep it simple lots of toys lots of power and sensible money.

Love it, if only rover did the same with ZT V8 then we would have seen hundreds.

Funny when dealers sold them off at end for 16K for a new one from SMC, showed what the actual cost was for them!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts