Had to put my std bulbs in for dip driving :(

any suggestions on what to go for?

Country twisty roads with 2 stretches of 50mph to work each day

I like the HID look, but need something to light the roads

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was looking at them, can get them for £18 including the sidelight bulbs (which seems good value)

more suggestions can't go amiss though, these might come up trumps, but just wanna see whats advised

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Philips X-treme Power

Most of the brands on the market are a improvement

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine were an improvement, but they lasted ****** all time so want to go to a decent reliable brand

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Ring" bulbs

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
They have been in the car for approx 3 years and still going strong

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I've some philips blue nights, not as powerful as the xtreames but have a blue HIDish tint.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I like the HID look, but need something to light the roads
i was considering HID's as one of my next mods, but are they really that naff? Nobody else posting so far has endorsed them. its all been Osram or philips thus far.

Im also a bit concerned about localised heat from none OEM bulbs. Would uprated bulbs give off anymore heat as MK2 lenses are prone to cob-webbing when exposed to heat.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Im also a bit concerned about localised heat from none OEM bulbs. Would uprated bulbs give off anymore heat as MK2 lenses are prone to cob-webbing when exposed to heat.
If they give off more light and use the same number of watts, as most uprated ones do, then they must give off less heat - you can't get the energy for the extra light from nowhere!

Bulbs which use extra watts are probably not a good idea with plastic bulb holders, plastic lenses and somewhat thin wireing.

·
''Fire up the Quattro''.
1,935 Posts
Most of the quality aftermarket brands Osram etc state they will not harm plastic lens covers etc. Don't worry i ran the same in my ZR for over 4 years with no problems.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
My mate had a garage fit higher wattage bulbs when he had a pug 309 and it melted the holders etc. A definate no no.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have the Osram nightbreakers ,excellent vision, but one blew after just 4 months, going to try the Philips extreme next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts