MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right. For a while now, I have been saying I must get a 'new' lead and spade connector for the starter motor. Well, went out last night and........nothing. That's ok I thought, I will crimp the spade and have a play about, which I have done before........Nothing!!
So used the missus' car last night and today I was going to top up my gearbox oil. So I tried it again and all I got was a very rapid ticking and a smell of eggs (I have a decat). I did a search on here and read it could be battery related. So got the missus' car and jump started it. Hey presto, life at last.
Let it run for a while to charge up, turned it off and tried to restart........................... Nothing!!!

Now does this sound like my battery is completely knackered or starter motor related. I wouldn't of thought it was an earth point as it started when jumped.
The lights and everything still work and all the normal dash lights come on and the fuel pump starts up etc.

Can anyone enlighten me? If I do need another battery which ones can I get (ZS 180), I wanted to pick one up from a scrappy as cash is very tight till the end of the month when I will be able to get a new one.





Thanks all,

Kirk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
It sounds Battery related to me, if you have a multimeter you can check the battery voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have one somewhere, what should it be? Do I just touch the negative and positive sides at the same time to check?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
Yes, set it to 20v dc then touch the negative terminal with the Black lead, and the positive with the Red lead, you should see around 12.4v.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Right, nice one. I'll get onto it asap. Thanks.
A healthy battery should show 12.7 volts static and 14. volts charging with the engine running. Anything below around 13. volts with engine running is likely to be a below par alternator and that will kill even a new battery eventually.

KirkJames said:
and all I got was a very rapid ticking
That is a the sign of a weak or expired battery. That clicking is the Solenoid trying to direct strong battery power to the starter motor. The Starter Motor is briefly the most demanding of battery power and if sufficient power is not there the engine will not be turned over and so fail to start.

Sometimes with a weak battery there is sufficient power to turn the engine over ... slowly ... but nothing left for the coils to provide a spark inside the engine so does not fire up the fuel. Sometimes when a battery is low a starter will take ALL the battery power available leaving nothing to maintain the security code in the radio head unit. So you'll need to enter the code again once a strong battery is provided. Had that happen several times over the years.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
try putting on your head lights when you turn key to start if lights go dim sounds like battery or earthing problem if lights stay brite sounds like starter wiring problem i had this happen this week would jump start becouse of extra power but was a starter problem only i was on holiday in france lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A healthy battery should show 12.7 volts static and 14. volts charging with the engine running. Anything below around 13. volts with engine running is likely to be a below par alternator and that will kill even a new battery eventually.
Right, I didn't know that. Does that mean that it if it is running below 13 its likely to be both the battery and the alternator! Or just alternator? Please excuse my retardedness!

Thank you everyone for the input, has really helped. Where would I be without you guys?

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a bit confused now. I tested the battery with my multimeter and with the engine off it is producing 13.4 (ish) and with the engine running it's producing a touch over 14. What the jeffin´ he'll is going on, that's normal isn't it?
Started the car up with no problems. It has only been sitting there for an hour tho after a 28 mile trip to work. Is it best to leave it for a good few hours and test it again?
 

·
Commission Number 000744
Joined
·
2,651 Posts
Could be worth trying the voltage again with engine not running but maybe ignition on and more or less everything else turned on (lights, blower, radio, hrw etc), see if that shows up a drop in voltage.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top