MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nice little surprise today, drove into work thinking I can smell dirty oil from somewhere. Car was running fine and thought nothing more of it and parked up.

Then came back to it an hour later to find a stream of oil running out from the front. From what I could make out it was leaking from the oil cooler.
Called out the RAC and the chap jacked it up and confirmed, corroded oil cooler pipes.

So now it's in the garage waiting to be fixed.
Hats of the RAC, they turned up in 5 minutes and got it to the garage.

My poor car :sad:

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
You might have to get the pipes made up by Pirtek, or the like.

Keep the metal ends as a pattern, just in case!!

Hope it all goes OK.

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
I had the exact same thing at the last MOT, it drove there fine then the oil cooler pipe let go during the emisions test........what a mess !! I called RImmer and they had the two pipes in stock but they were around £100 for the pair delivered.

I did as Petger suggested and got some high pressure flexi hose from Pirtek and used it with the original metal ends, cut back beyond the rusty section. They have been on now for over 7 months and never leaked.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
The irony is I was supposed to be visiting one of Pirtek's major suppliers yesterday to upgrade their computer system.

I saw a complete oil cooler and pipes on ebay for £85 quid

I'm finding out the damage this morning

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kicking myself as I ment to check these pipes a few months ago.
It's gonna cost me £330 to get the pipes fixed and the engine bay cleaned up :slap::slap:

But I need the car asap - my partner is expecting

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sounds a bit steep, cant you get the pipes made up or buy the ebay one. Must admit I dont know what works involved, but cant be too bad to pull off the old one and reconnect the new one.

Brush a bit of Gunk around and wash off the old oil.

Did hear of one that let go on the motorway, being driven back after just buying it. That did the engine in, so least your ones OK.

Well done on the new arrival, could do without this cost just now!!!

:wave:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
That's expensive !!

The pipes new are just over £100 for the pair, so £230 labour to fit them:shock:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, it's very steep, but I need the car.
I'm just glad it happend on the last mile to work in slow traffic, could have been a new engine if it were on the motorway. The dipstick was still above minimum so hopefully just damage to my wallet.

I think we need an alert for all KV6 owners to check their oil cooler pipes.

Thanks for the congrats messages too

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
A pattern oil pump is £130, tbh I think they're having a laugh.

Congrats as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm wondering now if I am to blame. A couple of years ago I had a big spillage of brake fluid down that side of the engine. Wonder if that has caused all the corrosion? I've asked to look at the parts to see what went wrong.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Wouldnt blame yourself, have heard of a few oil cooler pipe failures, do think the garage are pushing the price up.

Got any mobile mechanics or the like that could do it, if you dont fancy it???

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would certainly shop around, do you not have a friend that could do them if you dont fancy it? The jobs shouldnt be too hard.... May save hundreds.

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
It is a fairly easy DIY job, so long as you take care to soak the pipe unions where they enter the pump and cooler in release fluid for a day or so. You need to remove the radiator to get access to the oil cooler, so you will need anti-freeze as well. You get easy access if you remove the front right wheel then the inner wing plastic cover panel. The best tool to remove the pipes fronm the oil pump are crow foot adaptors, I got one to fit perfectly then added two or three socket extension bars, this let me fit a long breaker bar and get the pipes undone easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My car is back on the road, thanks for all the advice guys.
The pipe was very corroded right on the bend in the metal part the goes into the oil pump.

I would strongly recommend everyone check theirs as I think I was lucky it didn't go on the motorway and cause major damage.

I shall be keeping an eye on it in the future.
Wonder if it's worth painting some sort of wax oil on the pipes?

·
MG ZS 180 MGB GT V8
159 Posts
I don't want to go too far off topic here, but another pipe I am watching that is corroding badly is the metal section in the PAS feed line to the steering rack. There is a small metal section in the flexi hose, where it is secured to the auxilliary/timing belt cover (right above the problem you just had), it is looking very rusty now and given the pressure it carries it will let go big time. They are NLA according to Rimmer, I'm hoping Pirtek can help when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts