MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

My MG ZS leaks water through the interior fan and has seized it up

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JZH 
#1 ·
So since the summer ended my MG ZS (2005 mk2) has leaked water in to the passenger footwell when it rains.

Did some investigation and found it was coming in through the interior fan. Bit confused, but on removing the fan could see water coming in through what looks like (while lying down in the foot well in the snap-your-spine-in-half-on-the-door-sill position) the underside of the windscreen scuttle panel.

Is this normal ZS behaviour?

I can't honestly see how this was ever designed to not either (a) leak or (b) rust; as form the under side it looks like the windscreen scuttle is just stuck over a bit of foam in some sort of hope the foam would soak up the water before it runs down into the interior. Anyone know if this is the case? I haven't actually removed the panel yet to look. That looks like more than a 10 minute job...

Also, my interior fan runs erratically. Mostly in that, it doesn't run. Hardly surprising since it's had rain water in it for the past few months. The fan feels a little more difficult to turn by hand than I'd expect, so I guess the internal rusting of the motor has knackered it!? It's odd because sometimes it runs fine and sounds like it's at full speed.

Again, this is presumably normal for a ZS? While I think of it, is a Mk1 interior fan the same as a Mk2? And is a Mk2 fan the same as Rover 45?

Ta!
..Adam

See less See more
#4 ·
This happened to my car after the windscreen was replaced. The water would come down the windscreen, under the black panel that goes around the wipers, and drip straight down the spot welded air 'funnel'. I agree seal around the spot welded edge and also along the underside of the black plastic panel directly along the windscreen edge above the hole. I also replaced my fan with one from an older scrap civic which spun freely by comparison to the partially seized one that would squeel on start up. Also check that when you pour water into the area around the 'funnel' that it dissapears down the drain holes both sides of the car, as these can become blocked with debris over time,do this before you seal down the black panel!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.