1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wonder what they are up to now??

Hopefully gone skint and moved onto gold plating

That guy is a compete ars3.

Anyone else see the stories about MGR and others asking him to shut up??

For months, even a year afterwards he was shouting from the rooftops, or any City bar that would serve him about their cetain failure etc. Still trying to rock the boat.

Mr Moulton, we are now in February 2002, almost one year after you said MGR would fail.

I don't hear you any more.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Jon Moulton, head of Alchemy partners was a very much low profile character until the B**/Rover debacle forced him into the limelight along with his pack of locusts, widely credited with sacking over 20,000 workers at various companies he controls.
Throughout the whole episode he acted as a man who could do no wrong, and was very rattled when John Towers and the Phoenix consortium began to gather momentum (anyone remember that spectacular head to head with those two on the "Today" programme?).
As it turned out, he had been in negotiations with the Germans for over 6 months previously, and wanted to have Longbridge for redevelopment, initially producing neutered versions of the Z's we see now, before moving out to a greenfield site nr. Bromsgrove (Plenty of grants over there) to produce low volume sports cars under the MG badge, now believed to be in conjunction with Fiat.
With the threat of incredible legal action from unions, dealers and suppliers over their heads , not to mention horrific redundancy costs, *** had no option but to demand increased payment from him, forcing him to pull out with indecent haste, leaving the road clear for JT. He retired to lick his wounds.
At the end of last year, Moulton met Kevin Howe for informal discussions and to unravel some final threads. He went public and said that he now wishes MG-R all the very best, and is optimistic over the future.

During those dark days, I was always buoyed by one fact.
He had previously made a bid for Marley (Builders merchants) using the same gung-ho, Who-gives-a-toss attitude he showed for Rover. He didn't get that, either.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

I know. It makes me laugh. At the time and after the sale, you only heard from that loud mouthed egotistical to55er.

Towers stayed silent, through and after. Never lambasted Moulton and co. or anyone else for that matter. Just very reserved and diplomatic.

If anyone has read that crap book "The End of the Road, When *** met Rover" this is highly evident. No input from Towers whatsoever, loads of input from Mr Vulcher and co.

This book not too brill, very onesided : One of the lines says something like "and 100 years after William Morris started producing cars at his Longbridge site"??????

Eeeeeegggggghhhh! How can you rely on info in a book when they say something like that!!!

And I suppose Swindon is now the UK home of Dodge Vipers!!

Ehhhhhhhhh? Surely you would know that, my 18 year old sister would know that is wrong and she has (as yet) failed to write a book on the subject!!

Matt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts