MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motorway police in the midlands were supposed to be trialing the use of ZSs as motorway cars. Has anyone seen one in real life, and if so are they in the subtle shade shown here.

Attachments

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree.
Most police cars around here seem to be Volvos on the motorways and Protons in town. There is the occasional Astra, but how many of them are rebadged Opels.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will we then complain, I can remember in the early 80's the Germans complaining when the poilce there got Porsches.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The German complaints were not so much about costs, more about the psychological advantage that the police would have over anyone who may have been tempted to edge over the speed limit (not that we would ever do so).

Also I would be interested to see the 'on the road' cost of a fully kitted and specified police ZT-T compared with what we can get.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Sorry but the UK Police Forces do not give me any confidence at all. They are greatly maligned by the press and public alike and so they should be.

When did you last see a Policeman on patrol by either foot or bike - I work in Lincoln, I only see them on a rare moment when the deed has been done!

Why do the Police need ZT's when the Gatzo busters are doing the job for them. They control the motorways, A & B roads, not the plod sitting in his gleaming Omega or ZT on a roundabout. They have at their disposal helicopters and stingers to stop speeding and wayward drivers.

I say give 'em all R45's and take away their toys. Mr Blunkett you are wasting my money Sir.

Get THE PLODS to walk the streets and do some real Policing rather than hit the easy target - the sensible driver who just happens to be a soft target for the coffer collection. All these massive revenues have not been pumped into safety and education on the roads. Well I haven't seen any evidence of this as yet. Wasn't this the idea, or was it for the Chief Constables end of term knees up!

Jim

Sorry I do rattle on but the motoristist is a licence to print money.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Jim,

Where you live isn't the only place in the world where it is like you discribe.
Same here on the other side of the canal.

A few years back I had an accident, so I called the police ..... them b*stids couldn't come, they were busy.
A few days later I saw 3 coppers is a car 'avin a privat gay party and taking pics of speeding cars.....for those things they got time then....

And a few weeks back my girl went to work and discoverred that someone has been there during the night and took some things away....after he/she had smashed a window.
So she called the police ............................. AFTER 3 HOURS!!! them f*ckf*ces arrived and left again within 5 minutes without doing sh*t....they didn't take fingerprints even tho them thieving scum had touched almost everything!!

and I could go on and on with examples bout them dutch police being c*nts.

So you're not alone Jim ;)

(sorry for my language moderator ;) )

cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
22 Posts
A number of MG Rover cars have been used by CMPG (Central Motorway Police Group from where I retired last summer) but since these have not been, until recently, to a Police spec they have been trials only for short periods. The ZS trial you mention was basically a publicity operation.

Now a Police spec is available on ZT expect to see some more fully liveried cars appearing firstly in long term evaluation (12 months) and probably, depending on the deal, purchased examples around the UK.

Rog

G

·
I concur with that. I reckon a ZT V8 260 would be an excellent and affordable police vehicle. Apart from providing a link to the V8 P6s and SD1s used as squad cars in the sixties and seventies, it would also be an excellent advert for MG-R. And, doubtlessly, would be very popular with the police drivers themselves...

Incidentally, I think it's rather sad how the emergency services don't "buy British" any more. Up in my neck of the woods all the fire appliances are Scanias - painted white to save money! - and the ambulances are Mercs. The boys in blue tend to favour Omegas and V70s. Sadly, no ZT-Ts spotted yet.:mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts