MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Could any one tell me whether they have Tried to increase performance on their TF135 yet

I was looking at fitting some kind of air induction system as a starter to my performance needs!

PS Must say that our TF135 looks good in XPower grey,sports pack 1 & 2, fogs and a grey hood.:D
The Image is taken with the girlfriends Mom in it.

Attachments

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
Some ideas...

Can't speak from experience of a TF, but the accepted routes for a 1.8 MPi MGF are as follows...

Minor (bolt on) items

Air filter.
K+N 57i is worth +8bhp on a 1.8i (+15 on a VVC). We independantly tested air filters for MG Enthusiast magazine in , hmmm IIRC 1998. K+N 57i was joint top with Ramair, but is significantly cheaper. PiperX was a close second. Since then, PiperX has developed it's own induction system (The Viper i believe). There is also a similar set up for the K+N called the Hurricane. This is not yet officially available for the F/TF yet and comes from Holland - details are sketchy. If you want ultimate air filter performance the ITG Maxogen is probably the best one to get being a complete cold air induction chamber made from carbon fibre - seriously cool, but seriously expensive too (£300.00 UKP +) No independant tests exist yet for the Viper, Hurricane or Maxogen but they all take the K+N 57i principle a stage further so should be worth at least the same. TF i believe uses Trophy 160 induction components, this will reduce some of the gains from a filter as the standard one is already more efficient.

Exhaust
Mike Satur Daytona came top in our independant tests for MG World Magazine with +5bhp. A close second was the Miltek/SP Supersports with +4.5bhp (not the 13bhp they claim!) Both of these systems are well made, well designed, straightforward to fit and sound good. The Daytona can have either twin oval pipe finishers or quad ones, whereas the Miltek has a pair of DTM style 3" diameter upswept pipes. Miltek is very loud but is also very high pitched (similar to an F1), Daytona has a nice rumble at low revs, building to a loud wail at 4500 rpm plus.:cool: Other systems to consider include the Pheonix (be sceptical about thier power claims too) and if you can get one, the TT Fxtreme which sounds wonderfull, if a bit boomy. All tests were carried out back to back on the same car, on the same rolling road, on the same day. Note: TF has modified exhaust system to MGF, talk to manufacturers to find out if they do a revised version.

Trophy 160 throttle body
Note TF 135 may already have this. Has a 52mm internal diameter as opposed to the standard ones' 48mm. This means more air and therefore more fuel = more power.

Cat bypass
See MGF Forum for details.;) May not be possible on the TF as it has an additional exhaust sensor to detect the cats' presence.

Engine surgery / Major items

Cams
Uprated cam shafts will liberate a few more horses, loads of different cam profiles available, may make the car a bit 'lumpy' on idle though. TF 135 already uses uprated cams, may not be such an advantage to change them.

Reworked / uprated exhaust manifold
EBD (Exhausts by design) do an excellent 4:2:1 system which has shown significant gains on the Elise. Needs a special short flexi pipe in place of the cat on an MGF though, may be a problem for TF with additional exhaust sensor to detect catalyst.

Gas flowed head
Serious gains to be had here, only consider Stage 2 or higher if you are going to include other modifications to the fuelling and MEMS. Head is reworked (known as porting and polishing) to smooth out gas flow charaterisitcs, thus making the head more efficient and liberating significant horses. Stage 1 has shown gains of up to 28 bhp.

Forced induction
2 types, Turbo and supercharging. Both are mega expensive (supercharging costs more than replacing the engine with a KV6 and moving the petrol tank to the front!!!!) Turbo charging creates additional heat in the engine bay (which on an F should be avoided like the plague).

Multiple Thottle Bodies
Replacing the enitire induction system (filter, throttle body, inlet plenum and manifold) with multiple throttle bodies releases phenominal power (up to 40 bhp). Is quite crude technology but is tried and tested. Can be had for around £1500.00 UKP

Replacement MEMS
Most of the above major work will entail replacing the MEMS with something programmable like a Luminition/GEMS type set up. This in itself can add a few more horses, but on its' own tends not to be cost effective.

Hope this helps... :)

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
A typically thorough and very useful response their Andy - nice one! :)

I don't think I could really add much to it other than to suggest a web site that is an absolute 'must-read' for anyone considering getting the most of their K-series engine: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/DVAndrews/kengine.htm

Lots and lots of technical information. Read this, and you'll become a certifiable K-series tuning expert!!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
V6 mods

Having read the posts on this thread I can be nothing but impressed with the quality of information given, do any of you guys have any info on V6 mods available ?

Cheers

Mike:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Mike

I agree, I'm not sure if Scarlet Fever has all this info on site. If not, it would be a shame for it to disappear to the bootom of this Forum.

If required, it should be placed on an FAQ thread on the main site.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Andy,

Like the KV6 comment.

Has anyone done it?????? That would be awesome!!!

Obviously would have to be a decent unit and not one from an early 800 which may last long enough to get you home from the shops (if they are local :D )

Matt.

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
Nobody has replaced a 4 cylinder K in preference to a KV6.

There are no width restrictions in terms of engine bay dimentions to prevent someone from fitting a KV6 engine into an F/TF body shell - the engine length of the KV6 is not dissimilar to that of a 4 cylinder K.

The problem is the design of the KV6. Because it was designed as part of a modular engine range that was to have included a KV8, it has a 90 degree V angle. This means that the engine is particularly wide.

If you were to try and lift a KV6 into the standard body shell, you'd find that the front bank of cylinders would foul the forward bulkhead - the one that houses the fuel tank. Hence Andy's observation regarding relocating the fuel tank...

But apart from this, the KV6 uses the same gearbox as the 1.8K - so no modification to the wheel base or suspension need be performed once the bulkhead interference issue was resolved.

It's achievable (rumours of a KV6 engined MGF mule abound - but that was pre- Phoenix and the car may still be loitering at Gaydon? Who knows!) - but expensive.

Perhaps a better option would be to fit a VW VR6 engine. No space restriction problems - and I know that Mike Satur is just *itching* to have a go ... so if you are interested, send your requests to the usual address... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Scarlet Fever

I'm very impressed with your response, I've started working on the mods as we speak.

and thanks for the comment on the REG Nick it was a present for the Girlfriend.

·
The Scarlet one returns...
1,040 Posts
KV6

This was something i seriously considered for a while last year. Theoretically it is possible and, given that a supercharger costs £6500.00, it is cheaper to spend £4500.00 on a brand new KV6 and use the rest to get it fitted.

As Rob pointed out, the only problem is the fuel tank, being situated vertically behind the passenger seat within the engine bay. The KV6, as mentioned previously is a 90 degree V and therefore the tank needs to be relocated to make room in the engine bay.

My plan was to source a Porsche slab tank and fit it under the front bonnet, where the black plastic shroud panel is. It will probably need a safety cage for crash protection and there will need to be some minor bodywork to move the fuel filler to the front wing. This is all perfectly feasible, especially when you consider that there is a 'ready made' route for the fuel pipes within the transmission tunnel along side the gear linkage cables. If you remove the spare wheel and go the IMS route, then the available space under the front bonnet is massive.

This is a mod just crying out to be done IMO, if it wasn't for my recent HGF causing me to go down the stage 1 head route i would be saving for it as i speak. Ho hum, looks like someone else is going to beat me to the punch. :)

---------------------

My website is woefully out of date (just never have the time...) ;) So the above info, although partially is there, would probably be better on the FAQ, certainly it would be more accessable. Feel free to add it Jerry. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Some german tuner planted an audi V6 into an elise. I have their website bookmarked somewhere. If interested, I´ll look for it

cheers,
David peters

1 - 11 of 11 Posts