MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Richardsons

I went to Richardsons last week to have my throtle body upgrade and induction kit fitted....

Firstly... the modifications are a great success, piperx induction kit and 160 throtle body upgrade really do make a difference.

Secondly... the customer service I experienced was second to none. They let me test drive a few MGs while I waited for the work to be done..... And they encouraged me to red line them as well.... Of course I needed no encouragement!!

They then knocked plenty of dosh off when it came to payment as well..... I was well chuffed.

WELL CHUFFED!

Oh and they also have a chap sitting on line at www.mg-rover.org available to answer any techy questions...

YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE NOW USE IT!!

G

·
Steve

Excellent plug. I'm sure the MGOC will approve (The url is close but slightly incorrect, you need a dash in there. :D

Really pleased that they let you test drive the products - this is indeed good service. And that it just wasn't a single drive, but a range of cars. :D

How much extra bhp do you think you have gained with the TB/filter?

However, I do disapprove of the site (not the company) you are plugging as its marketed as an "Enthusasts Site." This is clearly not the case, as you have already mentioned. If it was called Richardsons - then I would have no problem at all. :idea:

As you say the techie is a Richardsons employee - promoting Richardsons products and the occasional mod (some outside warranty). Although, I admit this is not always the case.

I maybe be biased, but at least this is an ENTHUSIASTS site. :rockon:

PS. I've never met Steve Childs the site originator. I imagine he is just another MG enthusaist at heart.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mods etc

Your Mods sounds cool,

But.......................have you blown your dealer warranty??

If not i think let us know and we can all line up for bhp increasing fun:D

Coz if you havent, im off to Minister Engines (2 miles from my house) to blow extreme amounts making my 105+ have an extra 100 bhp

:beerchug

G

·
carpboy

Thanks for keeping on thread (I should keep politics off the board. Final word though, it's the only site that gives me a mental problem. Jerry).

On Topic.

From the answers Anthracite researched when he was looking at modifications. This is what he had to say, the "Induction Kit" maybe OK as long as there aren't any ENGINE issues on warranty. However the throttle bodies probabaly oversteps the mark?

Question: Are the brakes the same on the 120 and 180? Reason I ask, is that more bhp will require brake mods. therefore MGR would claim that you are definitely outside Warranty.

Conclusion I'm sure Steve would have considered the warranty issue and has taken the risk full of knowledge. Richardsons may have said bring it back to us and we'll sort it (but don't take it elsewhere - common line in the EVO world too). Especially if you are selling engine upgrade kit.

Point: I had an AP 6-pot Racing kit, complete with grooved discs and lines, which I would liked to have fitted to the ZT190. Was told categorically by MGR that my warranty would not be backed. Reason given, I would be tampering with a piece of saftey equipment. So I sold the kit, even though I know the braking would have been substantally improved. You pays your money & takes your chance!!!

G

·
Re: Richardsons

MG 120 BRUM BRUM said:

<snip>

Oh and they also have a chap sitting on line at www.mgrover.org available to answer any techy questions...

YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE NOW USE IT!!
Thanks for the plug & glad you're happy with your kit. As Jerry said, you made a slight typo in the URL, you missed out a '-' between the mg and rover ;) i.e. mg-rover

Anyway, I've read a few things on here before and I feel I have to correct Jerry. (Who I hoped to meet at the Luton meet last night, sadly it was cancelled, don't you if you were going there or not Jerry...)

However, I do disapprove of the site (not the company) you are plugging as its marketed as an "Enthusasts Site." This is clearly not the case, as you have already mentioned. If it was called Richardsons - then I would have no problem at all.
The online shop is on my site, but is an online shop for Richardsons Group, that's the only commerical aspect to the site. The site (www dot mg-rover dot org) is an enthusiasts site and will always be.

As you say the techie is a Richardsons employer - promoting Richardsons products and the occasional mod that isn't worth your time (specifics are available) . Although, I admit this is not always the case.
Dave is an Employee of Richardsons, he happens to be their After Sales & Service Manager. As for recommending mods that aren't worth your time, that's down to personal opinion. I don't know what you have in mind when you posted that.

PS. I've never met Steve Childs the site originator. I imagine he is just another MG enthusaist at heart.
I am :D

I'm not posting on here with the intent of starting a flame war, that's the last thing I or I think anyone really wants. I just wanted to put the record straight on one or two things.

The only connection between www dot mg-rover dot org and Richardsons is the online shop, the site is owned and operated by myself and I do not work for Richardsons!

Hope that cleared it up :)

hmm - "mg-rover dot org" seems to be a swear word :(

G

·
An Honest reply

Steve

Thanks for your reply and clearing a few things up. Glad you admit the only commercial aspect of the site is the shop. I agree that I could set up a shop and owned by me, but where would I get the enormous stock and money from? I have no problem with the shop as the items are what an MG enthusaist wants - I have said this before....further comments will result in a flame war!

Dave, will naturally promote his company/your shop at all costs why would he would not recommend parts/mods that MINSTER engines produce for example. No further comment......:rolleyes:

Yes, it would have been useful to swop notes last night.

Url a swear word, when I once posted on the site, and posted a link to the site (not Forum) it was removed as you will remember. I don't request that links should not be posted to promote commercial enterprises etc. But to have a post placed solely for the purpose of promotting another site is bad manners. I always leave the post in place though.:tsk

Nice to know people talk of this site on ************* :D

I really should close this thread - I'm sure it could get silly. Or maybe move it to the MUPPET Forum? OK, we haven't got one - but this maybe the catylyst. :idea:

Steve, you may have my phone number if desired?

G

·
Hi Jerry, I don't recall any posts being deleted, if I did, I'm sorry.

I agree though, posts that are blantant adverts by the owners of a site on another site should be removed, but if the post was by someone else saying "look at this" or like this one was, someone telling about good service then that in my book is fine.

If you look through my forums you'll find loads of people talking about Rover200.com and linking to it. I've got no problem with linking to your site Jerry, feel free to submit a link to my links page for your site.

As for closing the thread, its your forum do as you see fit, but as I said before, I didn't post this with the intent of stiring stuff up.

G

·
I was going to close, but you've posted, just as I was going to.
:rofl: So, it stays open.

No, I haved no intention of being rude. Thanks for the offer of a link - add away.

Feel free to PM (personal message) away.

G

·
Guys

From what I can see you both offer MGR Forums. This one MG 99% with a strong Motorsport emhasis, the other a mixture but mainly MG. You should amalgamate. :googoo

Site info on the MGR product is very similar except for presentation.

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
Jerry

Don't even think of merging sites. Cooperate yes, merge no.
Steves site, while useful is just too big to keep up with.
Although it's much easier to find threads on subjects I'm interested in since he added the sub forums for the Zeds.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I follow both sites, and they both have good points which would be lost if the sites were "amalgamated" (I realise that this was probably off the cuff suggestion and not likely to be implemented). Sometimes threads start up on one of the boards that works better than similar threads on others. The Z forum on mgcars.org descends into chaos sometimes.

I'm glad there are two good enthuiast run MG sites, I'm not about to judge one over the other. There is good content on both, and there is BOUND to be overlap considering were talking about the same great cars.

Keep doing what you both do best!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Such mayhem I have caused!!!

Still at the end of the day it's all about the enthusiastic MG Z owners who want to modify...

In answer to carpboys question.... I haven't blown my warranty providing the problems I complain about are not linked to the upgrades I have had done. With regards to the throtle kit upgrade the garage cannot even tell it is upgraded unless they take it apart and have a look at the inside.... It looks the same from the outside.

Infact my car is in the garage at the minute for a clicking/tapping noise to be looked into... they are linking it to low oil which they are trying to link to the air filter whcih has been in for less than a week!!!! But I soon put them in their place!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
apolagies to confused readers.... This last thread was suppossed to be an addition to the 'Richardsons' thread.

G

·
I can merge the thread

Steve (MG120 BRUM x 2)

Not a problem - great to have MG enthusiasts writng about MG's. :roll:

Standby for thread merging. Do I take it the topic has been discussed elsewhere? :rockon:

Oheer Merged as MODS. :( Whoever replies and you want to go back to Richardsons as the thread name - start a new thread and I can merge with it. Mayhem - all good clean fun. :beerchug

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Seeing as ************* and other MG BBS sites have been mentioned on this site, perhaps its only fair to point out a third quality MG BBS exists namely www.mgcars.org.uk (click bulletin board).

I have no connection with any MG BBS site and stand nothing to gain from mentioning it. But since others were getting a mention on here, in the interests of balance, pointing out a third wouldn't seem to be against the balance of things, Jerry?

The only website I myself am connected with is that of Northern MG Owners, an unofficial grouping of the modern MG sports cars and salloons who meet up every two months to have a thrash around the best driving roads in the North of England. We've now completed 2 meet-ups and details of 3 and 4 are on our website www.nmgo.info. Pics from 1 and 2 are also available to view. If you're interested in coming along, fill in the online form and we'll book a place at lunch for you. (P.S. www.nmgo.info contains no online shop and no commercial enterprise. We're simply a group of MG enthusiasts who enjoy meeting others similarly inclined and who also enjoy a good drive.)

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
MG 120 Brum Burm...How much did Richardson's charge all in?

As for the warranty position, I don't know how dealers work but surely Richardsons, being an official MGR dealer, will have noted somewhere the work you've had done to your car (maybe even to a centralised computer database available to all MGR dealers). If not, then they certainly know what's been done and perhaps should have spoken with you, in advance, explaining the resulting warranty position.

If anything goes wrong with your motor you reckon that they'll never know because they won't be able to see the mod without disassembly. Surely only thing that the throttle body upgrade could effect will result in that part being disassembled anyway and the new part being revealed.

All I know is that where possible, a company will try and squeeze out of its obligations where it can.

I'm not trying to throw a dampner over things. In actual fact, I'm keen on looking into it for my ZR+120.

So you simply asked Richardsons to replace the throttle body on your Zed with the one from the ZR160 did you? What improvement do you reckon it's made? And is it real or just psychological? I put a PiperX kit on mine and whilst there's a great roar now at mid-to-high revs I couldn't swear to any performance improvement although I would say it picks up better from a standing start (might just be mind games though).

F

G

·
Richardsons gone into thin air???

OT: Had a mail from Steve C, asking me why I'd deleted the thread. As mentioned I tried to merge Brums threads (tried once in the past with a NMGO advert and failed - I'm sure Findlay remembers me doing that! As said above, the only way to get a Richardsons thread alive is for me to merge to a new thread called Richardsons.

Isn't life difficult at times, all for our beloved MG's.?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts