MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desperately need to source a heater blower for a MK2 with AC. Is it the same as a Mk1? Any truth in the rumour that they share the same part with a Honda Civic? A part number would come in handy either way. I'm driving around with no heating and the windows rolled down to stop the windows from misting up right now. It's not a pretty picture. lol.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone MK2 owners ever had any problems with their heater motor? Rimmer Bros can't even give me the correct part number. Their website isn't much help either. The Rimmer guy seemed to think the Speed control gizmo was a common problem but I doubt it. Just to summarize, the heater cuts out after a few minutes or else wont come on at all. Sometimes it cuts in again intermittently. It seems to me that it's drawing too much power and something is getting tripped. Could the relay be causing this? Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most probably is the correct fan. My only concern is the fan assembly in the diagram which is indicating a resistor rather than a transistor pack. But I guess if I'm just buying the fan that wouldn't affect me.

Just out of interest, were your transistors situated in the same place as the resistors are on the diagram (Item 4)? I'm glad you got yours repaired anyway. The transistor packs cost £105+vat!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just out of interest, were your transistors situated in the same place as the resistors are on the diagram (Item 4)? I'm glad you got yours repaired anyway. The transistor packs cost £105+vat!!
yes, thanks, and i know. sheddist offers a very reasonable repair service if you ever need the transistors replacing.

Search ebay for 400/45/zs heater fans/blowers or any combination of those words and you should find a cheapish fan.

what exactly is the issue with the fan?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, thanks, and i know. sheddist offers a very reasonable repair service if you ever need the transistors replacing.

Search ebay for 400/45/zs heater fans/blowers or any combination of those words and you should find a cheapish fan.

what exactly is the issue with the fan?
The fan will run for a couple of minutes before cutting out unexpectedly. That's if it comes on at all! Doesn't matter if it's on Auto or Manual or what speed setting I select. I have noticed that it tends to surge a bit just before quitting which is what led me to believe it's drawing too much current.

Wonder if this would do the trick:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-45-Heat...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f05a3d881

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Good find! Cheaper too. I'm gonna order it and hope for the best.
I just dropped the blower and took it out. Had a look at the tranny pack while I was at it. It looks an array of heat sink rods hanging down from a sealed unit. How on earth did Nigel repair that?

Thanks again for your help.
i couldn't have done it but nigel made it look real easy. just prized the thing open and desoldered the old trannys and resoldered on the new ones.

hope that the blower solves it for you.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced the motor with one from the scrappies worked fine for a few minutes and cut out again. Back to square one. Could transistor pack be causing this? I can't source a used replacement pack and I don't want to fork out 130 quid for a new one unless I'm sure it's going to fix it. Clue me up Scotty!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was the transistor pack after all! :yup:

Installed a new one last week and it's been blowing lovely hot air since. I think the culprit was probably an overheating capacitor on the unit's PCB rather than a blown transistor. I'm just glad it's sorted. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was the transistor pack after all! :yup:

Installed a new one last week and it's been blowing lovely hot air since. I think the culprit was probably an overheating capacitor on the unit's PCB rather than a blown transistor. I'm just glad it's sorted. Cheers!
Oh yeah. And I got a refund on the replacement blower I ordered from the scrappies cause it arrived with the blades broken. So good result all in all!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts