MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MK2 180 Finally On Coilovers (UPDATED PICS)

Thankyou mr postman

The seized bolt that took 1 hour 30 mins to get undone

Old shock & spring

First drop off the jack after guessing how low to wind the coilovers lol

Fitted front coilover

Final sitting position for now. Small amount of scrubbing due to lumps in the edges of the front inner arches but soon fixed

Updated Pics 11/11/2010 (after a much needed clean)

Updates 20/11/2010 - Rear adjustable camber arms fitted

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
I think that needs...er...fine tuning. There was a reason the rear end is slightly higher than the front on the standard setup and i'm sure it wasn't for luggage weight. I hope you don't have fillings in your teeth or i would book an apointment in advance:D

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Makes it look pretty tough stood still.

You'll be scrubbing tyres out about every 2 weeks running that low, and it'll ground if you drive over a matchstick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes it look pretty tough stood still.

You'll be scrubbing tyres out about every 2 weeks running that low, and it'll ground if you drive over a matchstick.
Have been down very bumpy roads testing & tweaking it and finally everythings been adjusted so there is no more scrubbing.

and for future questions, no it is not on the bump stops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks really nice.. real low rider, bet you avoid the multi-storys now though haha.
What have you setteled with on the ride height then??
Won't know if i can get in one until i try. Its the same as in the last pics just a small amount higher on the rear.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
bit of advice, take it or leave it..lol
unless you fit adjustable suspension arms front and back you are going to get through tyres quite quickly because you have built in some fairly significant negative camber there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How does the ride comfort differ? I had GAZ coilies on my ZR and it was a bit uncomfortable after a while. I'm selling some adjustable rear camber arms if your interest??
Your reg is similar to mine before I put my privates on... it was CK54 GKP

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When my diff bearings failed i remember the guy saying people that lower their vehicles do not consider the additional load that this can put on the diff bearings. All those little bumps you go over the shock travels up the driveshaft and can cause premature diff bearing failure. Might have been talking out of his bum'ole for all i know but remember thinking at the time that it made sense? of and you'l eat tyres, as previosly pointed out.

But it does look nice, not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Unless your car is going to see some serious track action and you are fitting adjustable arms to complement then I suggest you change the suspension to as close as the original height and stance as possible. It may feel like a go cart but at some stage it will snap back quite dramatically and catch you out as you’ve changed the chassis set-up, the stock set up was designed extremely well and will tolerate some minor modifications, such as the X-Power springs, these require re-alignment to neutralize negative effects.
What you have done is introduced more negative aspects than positive, with adjustable arms and time on the geometry set-up it will work very well on roads and track but it certainly isn’t a case of bolt on and drive with coil overs.

Good luck

·
Registered
510 Posts
Won't know if i can get in one until i try. Its the same as in the last pics just a small amount higher on the rear.
Just seen your location where in Lincs are you as i've not seen your car about?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Some good advise on this thread! That is very low and if your going to keep it like that then i would definitely fit some adjustable top arms front and rear

1 - 20 of 33 Posts