MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had a complete failure of my mk2 zs 180 's alarm and the only way i fixed it last time was by swapping it over to a secondhand unit.
is the mk2 zr alarm the same as the mk2 zs alarm as its the only one i can find for sale at the moment and i really need my car working again.

also does anyone know why the unit might of failed for the second time in 3 weeks? the only thing i can think of is i had it on the same key ring as my van alarm and it might have tripped the code out

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes they are the same, but it is not just an SCU (security control unit) its also the BCU (body control unit) and it is programmed to do various functions on the vehicle like wash/wipe, fog lamps, windows etc. So if you fit a second hand unti from another vehicle you may loose the operation of some features if the vehicle the replacement unit came from wasn't programmed with. You can get the SCU reprogrammed to operate all of the functions on your vehicle with anyone that has T4 etc or if you contact someone like Nick at www.austingarages.co.uk he can repair and reprogramme SCU's getting you fully up and running.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i only need to get the car up and running long enough to p/x it in now as its broken down nearly everytime i have driven it! so if i put a mk2 zr 1.4 setup in the zs would it drive and run?

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
Do you mean you alarm sounder?? This can screw many things up as a result of soggy sounder, when mine went I lost central locking, intermittant wipers and couple of other things.

If it is the sounder I have a refurbed and resealed later sounder and the older better quality unit if you need one:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last time i changed the scu and main ecu and it worked. i haven't changed the sounder unit as i took mine out and its been sealed up already and i can't split it to see if there is water in there.

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts
last time i changed the scu and main ecu and it worked. i haven't changed the sounder unit as i took mine out and its been sealed up already and i can't split it to see if there is water in there.
Ah, no so good then looks to be the expensive fix:( Best to double check there is nae water in your sounder though, take it aff and give it a shake usually there is enough water in them that you can hear it slosh about least then you can guarantee your not spending more than you have to:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts