MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Paul (P9 VLS) has come up with this idea and I'm sure willl cordinate. :D It should be fun to drive our ZEDS, F's and TF's around this area. (all MG & Rover's welcome in fact).

Below is part of the thread Paul posted in the previous meet.

"I would be up for a weekend drive and I have the details of the test route that the press were given at the launch of the MGF.

Its a good route with a lunch stop at the Butchers Arms at Priors Hardwick which (at the time) was a favourite haunt of MGF designer Gerry McGovern. Starts and finishs at Gaydon and is 65 miles long."

I wonder if ffcphone could help out with a route map from test route?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yep, we're up for it Jerry.
Let us know the meeting place and we'll be there!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Route Information

Sunday May 19th - 10am start from the Heritage Museum at Gaydon. Suggest we meet at the top Car Park - that way we don't have to pay.

Who's welcome? Anyone - especially if they have an MG.

I've had a chance to dig out the information on the MGF Press Route.

Last time we did it we did a shortened version as we tacked it on to the MG Day at Gaydon in 1998.

As we have go more time we can go for a version of the whole route. the good news is that it means more driving. the bad news is that as I haven't driven the route (and won't get a chance before 19th May) I have not idea how far it is or how long it will take us. At least the nights will be lighter :)

Heres the route - its a version of the proper one because the proper one does a lot of doubling back and driving the same roads more than once so I've amended it.

Start Gaydon
South B4100 to Drayton
At junc with A422 turn right to Pillerton Priors
After Pillerton Priors, turn right onto B4455 Fosse Way to Eathorpe
At Eathorpe, turn left through village.
Past Techspeed motorsport on the left and onto wappenbury
Turn right onto B4453 and then right on to A423
Follow A423 to and around Southam
At junction with A425, take the road to Priors Marston
Before getting to Priors Marston, taker right to Priors Hardwick

Lunch stop at Butchers Arms, Priors Hardwick

South to Aston le Walls
East to Weedon Lois
SE to Silverstone
Right onto A43 towards Bracjkley
Right onto B4525 to Banbury
TR at Middleton Cheney, go north to Cropredy, then on to Mollington.
Turn right onto A423 going north as far as Ladbroke.
Turn left towards Bishops Itchington, then Lighthorne Heath, then back to Gaydon.

I'll phocopy the relevent pages of the map book (I might even mark the route with a highlighter!). I'll also copy the pages from the Winter 97 edition of roadster - which is where I've lifted the route from:) But if anyone can upload a map and trace the route on that - it would be good.

I will probably need to reserve a table at the Butchers so will need confirmation of who is attending by Monday 13th May.

So far we have:
Paul & Fran - MGF
Richard & April TF
Jerry & Max - Trophy
nn-y - err forgotten - one of them modern Zed things :)

Talk to me!!!!

[email protected] if there isn't a facility to send me a message - which I'm sure there is.

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
FAO of Mr Dave Harrison!

What about that V8 powered SD1, Dave? You have no excuses for this one - good meal - reasonably local - nice drive - NICE MG owners and Gaydon too - all in one day!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Meet

I'm interested - I'll check with the other half, but I think we're free that w/e.
Tim & Natasha
MG ZR 160

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Jerry's just PM'd me to wake up and look at this thread - Won't be there for the run but WILL be there to meet you all and see you off!! Look forward to it! SD1 will be in attendance, subject to MOT.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Paul

I've put a page togther - just for events - will change the "theme" to match the rest of the site later.

Just need a map - I'll look into it.

XPower Events

Jerry

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
attn MMGO organisers.

Don't often read this forum to be honest but noted an (incorrect) reference to myself above.

If you want a route overview map, similar to those I put together for Northern MG Owners (website) then I can oblige providing someone emails me a detailed route including start and end point. Each stage should include a compass bearing (NSEW only) and road number to help me pin point on Mircosoft MapPoint.

For NMGO events I then produce a 10-20 page Word document which expands on the route and includes OS maps for any road changes so as to ensure no one gets lost.

This takes quite a bit of time to prepare so I'm not overly keen to offer my services for this aspect unless you're desperate.

Let me know.

Findlay
[email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tim,

Could you let me know when/if you become a definate - I need to book the table for lunch.

Confirmed so far:
Paul & Fran - MGF
Richard & April - TF160
Jerry & Max - Trophy
Natalie, Nick & Cameron Young - ZT
Dave Livingstone - MGF
Matt Walton & missus - TF160

Another 4 cars would be nice - where are all the Zeds???

Paul

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
We're gonna be a bit outnumbered by convertibles! :D

Have to hold our own somehow....:D

Yup, we're definite....

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be there!!

Paul, I'm as definite as you can be. Trouble is I may be delayed the day before - unlikely but you NEVER know (flying in from Dubai).

Go ahead with the booking for two - if I don't make it. I'll reimburse any costs involved!

Jerry

I'm going to get a map together for this page .

Thanks Findlay, I do realise thay you guys are busy organising your events. Catch you soon!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another one confirmed,

Andy Bates and passenger, driving.......

an MGF

No surprise there then.

Nat, do you think you could borrow an MGF for the day? I can lend you a boot rack for Nick if you need extra space :D

Mind you, if its raining, you'll have the last laugh

Paul

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hey that's not a bad idea! Cammie can have the passenger seat coz he needs a baby seat and Nick can sit on the luggage rack! :D

Don't know anyone with an MGF unfortunately - I'd love one, but not practical with little bub.

Could maybe borrow an MR2 - next door neighbour just bought one! Well it's a convertible.....!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
I've got a can opener at home - I can always make the ZT into a convertible by then? :D

Seriously, come on people, I don't want to be the only Z car!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ZED support

New to this game but have been meaning to get on a run since I had the MGB 3 years ago, (unfortunatley in the throws of restoration now, in between extending the house!!)

just got to check with the Msus if we can lose the kids for the day, Grandparents permitting I'll come down for the day and give you some support in the ZS.

Although the Midlands seems to be stretching it ? But with it being a Sunday should be an easy run down the M'way.

I'll confirm when I speak to the folks at the weekend.

Regards All,

Mike :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Burchers Arms is fully booked for the 19th.

But I've booked a table for 20 at the Holly Bush Inn, just around the corner at Priors Marston. 3 courses is £16, two courses is £12.

Paul & Fran - MGF
Richard & April - TF160
Jerry & Max - Trophy
Dave Livingstone & wifey - MGF
Andy Bates & passenger - MGF

So next 6 people to confirm get a guaranteed place at the table!!

(Nat, I've organised a high chair for Cameron)

I shall drive the route next Thursday and will report back definitive times, mileage etc after that.

Paul

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thanks Paul - much appreciated.

Hopefully we'll be able to eat our lunch without Cameron getting his fingers in it that way! :D

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I am definate

Paul,

Put me down with the wife we'll be there .

Cheers

Mike & Caroline

ZS180:D :D :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Test drove the route yesterday.

Need to transcribe it from my dictating machine but:

Morning section
55 miles lasting 1 hour 20 mins, a long stretch down the Fosse Way - basically a straight round with some nice sweeping bends :)

Pub for lunch looks nice - although it was closed while I was there.

Afternoon section
Again 55 miles lasting 1 hour 40 mins with lots of back roads :) :)

Mike Hammond has volunteered to do a route map from my directions.

Looks good - just need to sort out a guarantee on the weather.

Confirmed now:

Paul & Fran - MGF
Richard & April Pearson - TF160
Jerry & Max Flint - Trophy
Dave & Sue Livingstone - MGF
Andy Bates & passenger - MGF
Mike Hammond & wife - ZS180
Lee & Jo Richardson - MGF
EllingtJ - MG?

Which makes 20 people & 10 cars.

Wot no ZR ??????????????????

Anyone else wanting to join in will be most welcome - but please let me know beforehand as the lunch table is only booked for 20.

Paul
P9 VLS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Midlands meet

I may or may not be around on that Sunday - so don't book me a place at the table, If I do come along it will be for the first half of the drive - (I live in Leamington Spa so I won't be too far away from home). It appears I will be the only ZR (160) attending.
Tim (lack of pior planning) Ellingham
ZR 160 - why did I bother waxing it on Sat, look at the weather!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts