MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Wifes ZS180 takes about 1.5 miles before the temp gauge comes off the bottom and is not all the way up to temp (which is normally just below half way) after 5 miles.

Also the heaters not very hot by then.

I only ask because my XK8 has a quick warm up cooling system and so is up to full operating temp on the gauge after 1.5 miles, and blowing very warm.

I don't know if the MG has a problem or im just used to the Jag.

ta

Smoggyx100
Jaguar XK8 cabrio
MGZS 180 MK1 04 Red with Ironing Board Spoiler (for the wife)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Sounds normal.
Hasnt the jag got a webasto type heater system...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
could be a jammed thermo perhaps, ive not driven my 180 to compare it to my 110 but it seems to warm up pretty quickly

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
For this time of year I think that is normal.

According to my scangauge the temp gauge doesn't move until the coolant reaches 67'.

Using the aircon I get warmer than ambiant air almost streight away but it does take until the engine is coolant is fully up to temp to get hot.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
In my mk2 I set my ATC to auto (econ) mode. When the car first started in the morning the blower is automatically blowing at the lowest speed. And at roughly the same place every morning approx 1.5 miles from the house the blower would then automatically cranks up to maximum speed to warm the cabin. Guess this is when the engine is warm enough to allow the heater to start blowing warm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds normal.
Hasnt the jag got a webasto type heater system...
Hi

No the jag does not have a webasco heater, but it doues have a low volume coolant system, designed to get to temperature very quickly. Downside don't let the coolant volume get low at all costs.

Thanks all for the reassurance, now Ill just flush it out and replace the antifreeze. I'll keep a replacement thermostat job for the summer.

thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 180 is exactly the same, so I don't think you have a problem.

I "understand" that it may have a cooler opening thermostat than other cars. so the radiator is open earlier which will lead to a slower warm up.
This may have been a measure to stop thermal shock which I read affected early (Rover 800 era) KV6's causing head gasket problems.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
IIRC the thermostat starts to open at about 82'

My god sons dad blew the H/G on his jag, never ran right afterwards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts