MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A GIRL WHO DOES MECHANICS??
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my clutch felt weird so i stripped back the air box to examin the hydraulic system...couldnt find any leaks but my slave cylinder was sitting at an angle, 45degree, so the push rod was not going in properly..

ive taken the slave cylinder out the bracket...and now just trying to figure out how to move the bracket so it supports the slave cylinder correctly..
these cant keep failing!!!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
. . . . . these cant keep failing!!!!
Do some forum searching and you'll probably come to the conclusion that they can, I'm afraid.

Having said that, mine did 115k in 5 years on original clutch and hydraulics . . . . but I know something's about to let go once I put it back on the road.

You'll come across the 'sheddist' kit as you do the search too . . . I need to get myself one of those.

. . . . and 'welcome' :)

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
It seems that the brackets can fail as well as the general hydraulics.

I'm sure someone on here bought a LandRover part for a V6 Freelander for their ZS180 a while ago.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took all apart today...the bracket has failed, my slave cylinder just pops out...fluid on floor?? not a good sign..

i repaired the bracket, bent back into shape (bodge job)...metal wires and cable ties, refitted slave, tried pressing clutch pedal and went straight to the floor....slave cylinder popped back out again..argghhh

i know im needing a new bracket, but im wondering if my slave cylinder can still be usable? as still feel pressure with the rod in....

maybe SHEDDIST KIT...
but im hoping its not master cylinder aswell

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
daft question....do mgzs have a clutch cable going to gear box??
i thought it was all hydraulics but someone said clutch cable might of gone aswell

·
Registered
34 Posts
Freelander brackets are fine, I fitted one myself last month. Remember to bolt the Earth strap back (it uses one of the 3 bolts the the bracket is secured with), unlike me, who undid the bolts "blind" (covered somewhat by the battery tray), and then couldn't work out why my car wouldn't turn over, but would jump start. I ended up buying 1st a battery charger, then, when it still wouldn't turn over, a new battery!!! THEN I discovered a dangling Earth strap!! Doh! Lol.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I understand that a commone reason for the slave bracket welds fail is that it is under more pressure than it should be due to a stiff gearbox lever.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know im a girl...but id love to solve this slave failure one way or another..
id like to make my own supporting bracket that bolts round the slave, stops it wiggling, seccured at the neck...but i cant weld or cut metal lol

ive done some research and ive decided to get a landrover freelander slave bracket....

and does anyone know if a CIVIC slave cylinder would fit ??

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ratther than a sealed unit it uprated bracket etc (similar to MGF set up) the key thing is its not plastic.

Great items have to say well engineered and easy to fit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for being dumb but what is the Sheddist Kit & what is different about it plus who can fit it?
It's a DIY job mate, the instructions are great. It's using metal components off other vehicles and a custom made bracket. Replaces whole system and works a peach. Both of mine have had them and best mod/change you can do.

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
Reason for asking is I may get that 2006 Aurora ZS180 Saloon & he reconned the clutch would be the next job though there presently was nothing wrong with it.

·
Theres a new legal high its called ZS180
114 Posts
If you're buying the Aurora180, i would wait a little while until you've had a good drive before you change anything. The signs of slave trouble are very similar to a worn clutch so you could fix the wrong thing. I've got a squeeky clutch pedal but touch wood so far slave is fine. If you can't engage gear when engine is on but can when you turn it off then its most certainly the clutch.
My new clutch was fitted for £270 so knock them down that much at least!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd do the Sheddist kit anyway even if it does need a clucth as it's tried and tested. Loads of folks on here and other mg forums run it and nothing worse than the car not going into any gears on a one way system (happened to me when mine gave up). :friday:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
It's a must tbh. Nice light feel. No high pedal. Easy diy. And far better than cheap and nasty oe crap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dont mess about cable tie-ing the old slave bracket, if you can't weld it up then buy a new one off ebay for a LandRover Freelander - they are the same.

As mentioned above, the slave cylinder brackets can fail when the clutch gets heavy - usually due to the clutch release arm that goes in to the gearbox getting stiff, this puts extra stress on the salve and bracket. Once the bracket gets weak, it can stress the slave cylinder and cause that to fail too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts