MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Why did he roll?

Seemed to get close to the car in front but that kept going as though untouched.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
If you look carefully there are 2 long black skidmarks before he rolled. Maybe he just caught something on the other car?

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Looking at it again, I think he may have got clipped on the back corner just as he started to turn in.

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
thats a pretty damn serious roll
Im not familiar with circuit racing but why did nobody stop?
It'd be my first instinct if i saw that happen

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a pretty damn serious roll
Im not familiar with circuit racing but why did nobody stop?
It'd be my first instinct if i saw that happen
It's safer to carry on, the marshals will do their job, slow following cars with yellow flags, the red will follow pretty quick. The marshals would have been on the scene within seconds.

It transpires that in an earlier race the bonnet had flew up on the ZR, damaging the screen quite badly. They taped it up and went out for the second race.
It's possible the driver was dazzled with glare thru a cracked screen or perhaps it failed and he braked very heavy. It's questionable wheter he should been allowed to race with the windscreen in the condition it was, even if it was not a contributory factor in the accident.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I can confirm the windscreen was really bad, cant confirm where it was on the circuit as I cant see you tube here at work, but if he was driving into the sun I would have said it would have been dangerous as there were star shaped cracks on both sides about 40cms in diameter, in the same place on both sides, the drivers side being right where he would be looking. The windscreen was also taped in top and bottom, I would have said the scrutineers should have removed the car from the race.

However I dont have the full story so maybe they had ok'd the car and the crash was due to another reason.

Also unfortunately I didnt stay for the race.

Home now and seen the vid, just cant explain what happened there, but glare shouldnt have been a problem as the sun would have been behind him at that time of day, maybe got nudged by the other (I think) ZR....

More pics here . http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/ZSCentral/Chris/OultonPark 190610/

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latest I have, he may have had a slight tangle with a white MGF, but the incident is perhaps too far ahead to reach any conclusion from the video.

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The driver of white MGF got a fine of £100 and 3 points on his licence, the marshal must have had a good view of what happened to report back to the stewards. John Perkins has a stiff neck, but otherwise fine, which is good to hear.

Kelv

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
The driver of white MGF got a fine of £100 and 3 points on his licence, the marshal must have had a good view of what happened to report back to the stewards. John Perkins has a stiff neck, but otherwise fine, which is good to hear.

Kelv
Looks a bit like the white TF was crawling around and blocked the racing line at the wrong time. Still think the ZR was tipped by the car behind clipping his back corner.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Kelv
If it's the white car I think it was, it was already showing signs of contact on the front nearside behind the headlamp prior to any racing...

·
Registered
921 Posts
As a marshal at Oulton i heard about this that night a m8 phoned me the story goes like this.

The white F lost it going in to island bend then promptly rejoined on the racing line without waiting for the track to be clear, and made the ZR take avoiding action which at speed going in to Shell hairpin results in what you saw in the video. I dont know if contact was made between the two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts