MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MGR Super 1600 ZR will apparantly make an appearance in the Pirelli Rally, the first round of the British Championship, at the end of April.

Is any one going along to the Kielder event to see the action?

I don't have any more detail on this, so if any one out there has, I would certainly be interested.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
No chance of getting up there, although I do prefer track tp rally.

Does anyone know if there is going to be any TV coverage?

·
Supporting RML in LMES & Dyson In ALMS
2,085 Posts
Yeah, Channel 4 have got a preview programme on April 20th

The Presenter will be Mike Brewer from Driven

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sun rally car

;) The SUN news paper has a rally car running in three rounds of the british rally championship. Besides a small article in todays sun their should be a large article about the driver & car just before the first round!
The car is being run in the Gp n 1800 class.

Looks good for MGR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSE happy with MG's first run on gravel

Last weekend was the shakedown for the rally and the ZR's first outing on gravel :eek: but all seems to have gone well :)

Quote from GSE Motorsport:

"With the presence of the other top super 1600 cars, it was a good opportunity for the team to gauge the cars' performance. With the event only being 'promotional' no official times were given, but unofficial reports make clear that the MG was on the pace straight out of the box."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Echo ... Echo ...

Doh!

I've just spotted the previous thread "Sweet Lamb shakedown - MGR Press Release" :D

Didn't make the connection ... do now! :eek:

G

·
MG ZR EX258 HEADS NORTH FOR PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL RALLY

Gwyndaf Evans and Chris Patterson head north this weekend to take part in the Pirelli International Rally in Gateshead. This will be the first time that the MG ZR EX258 has competed in the UK and also in gravel specification.

The action will commence on April 26 at the Gateshead International Stadium, onto the floodlit stage of Central Nursery and Watergate Park before heading onto the testing stages of the Kielder Forest.

Commenting on MG ZR EX258’s UK debut, Rob Oldaker, managing director, MG Sport & Racing said: "After our first two continental outings in the JWRC, it is great to compete in the UK. Not only will the British fans be able to see our MG ZR in action, but we will gain a terrific amount of information for the Acropolis round which is next in the Junior World Championship calendar. Gwyndaf, Chris and MG continue to learn from the development programme and we are looking forward to further progress this weekend."

Gwyndaf Evans will be back in the driving seat again. He said: "I'm really excited that we are debuting the MG in the UK on an international rally. We'll have done a lot of testing before the Pirelli Rally so I'll have a completely open mind. I enjoyed the shakedown at Sweet Lamb in Wales – all this is ideal preparation for the Acropolis Rally."

Gwyndaf’s co-driver, Chris Patterson, is equally excited about the outing in Gateshead and added: "It's great to be competing back in Britain – it will be fantastic for me as Gwyndaf is a former winner. The stages in the Pirelli are so beautiful and I'm really looking forward to it."

GSE Motorsport has been working hard all season to prepare the MG for the Junior World Rally Championship. Commenting on its progress Baz Cannon, their technical director, said: "We are currently engaged in an intensive gravel test programme as part of the build-up to the Acropolis. There is no substitute for actual competition mileage to consolidate the test results. Make no mistake, we are looking to achieve the best result possible. The roads of Kielder are always a challenge and I think the MG will be well suited to them."

Attachments

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
The Pirelli International Rally has just finished, and according to the event's website...

www.brcweb.co.uk/results/pr_02/1/current.html

...the MG ZR EX258 of Gwyndaf Evans and Chris Patterson finished in 12th Overall. More importantly it won the Super 1600 category outright!

First event on gravel! First finish! First win! Excellent. They had been lying as high as 6th, then dropped to 10th with shock absorber failure, only to lose a further 2 1/2 minutes on a road section due to gear selection problems.

Nice to get the car's first finish behind the team. Well done to MG Sport & Racing, Gordon Spooner Engineering, Gwyndaf & Chris and all the mechanics - this should hopefully put to rest the individuals knocking the rally programme once and for all!

Aswell as the EX258 there were another two ZRs on the rally. Rob Stone finished 28th Overall and 2nd in Class N3, and Rob Gill was 30th and 3rd in Class N3.

Well done to all!

Did any forum members go to the rally? Maybe someone could give the forum some first hand opinion of the event?

Kind regards,

'Extreme'

G

·
Pirelli Rally - MGR Press Release

Mark A - excellent link above.

Gwyndaf Evans got off to a flying start in the opening round of the British Rally Championship at Gateshead at the weekend. The MG ZR EX258 was a Super 1600 Class win and achieved 12th position overall.

Gwyndaf and co-driver Chris Patterson were running in 6th place overall and amongst the 'big boys' of WRC. The MG proved extremely competitive over the weekend but in between leaving the service park and heading towards stage 10, a gear linkage problem set in. With the problem fixed, the MG was back on track to complete all stages but not before picking up a time penalty of 150 seconds.

The MG made an excellent debut on gravel. On completing the event Gwyndaf was delighted for the team. He said: "Everybody has worked so hard since Catalunya and it's a just reward for all the effort. We've only begun and I really feel there's more to come." Chris Patterson added: "Gwyndaf kept a clear head throughout the rally to claim our maiden victory in this category of BRC. This has shown us what the MG ZR will be capable of once fully developed in the JWRC. This is great for MG and we are looking forward to Greece."

MG Sport & Racing was jubilant at the success. Rob Oldaker, managing director, said: "I am absolutely delighted with Gwyndaf and Chris' performance in our first 'gravel' rally this year. They were so fast that they gave many WRC cars a good run for their money. GSE did a great job in preparing the car and helped to give a very professional look to what is only our third event in the MG ZR EX258 JWRC car."

GSE Motorsport have been responsible for developing the MG ZR EX258 for the BRC and the Junior World Rally Championship. Baz Cannon, technical director, said: "We are back! I'm over the moon to be back with Evans, in our winning ways as we were from '94 -'96. I'm pleased with the way the team has come together and the progress of the car from testing through to the end of the rally."

The next outing for the MG ZR EX258 is the Acropolis Rally in the Junior World Rally Championship, which takes place 13-16 June in Greece.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Channel 4 are showing highlights of the rally at 11.30 today (Saturday).
Don't know if the MG will be featured but maybe worth a look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is, rather prominently! :D
I watched the programme live, but I taped it and will watch it again this evening. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts