MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
England just scored: Beckham with a penalty!

This release was a bit of a schock...

MG ROVER IN TALKS OVER CONTINUED OPERATION OF DAEWOO-FSO PLANT IN WARSAW, POLAND

MG Rover and the Government of Poland are involved in discussions relating to the potential continuing operations of the Daewoo FSO plant in Warsaw and Daewoo FSO's distribution operations in Poland.

The scope of the discussions includes the continued production of models currently manufactured at the Zeran plant in Warsaw, and the 'local' manufacturing of MG Rover vehicles and engines. This would give MG Rover representation in the region, in order to develop its presence.

The plant currently produces the Daewoo Matiz, Nubira and Lanos vehicles, plus the Fiat-based Polonez. Discussions are being conducted exclusively. Several meetings have taken place but as yet no formal decisions have been taken. Further announcements will be made in due course, until then no further information will be available.

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
As long as no production capacity is shifted from the UK, surely this can only be good. extra (cheap) capacity would allow MGR to expand into other markets, and/or produce more models, they'd have to ensure quality didn't suffer though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
excellent opportunity

an excellent chance to manufacture the small cars that cost too much to make in the UK.

keep up the negotiations I say.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Heard about this yesterday from "H" at a Bar-B-Q. I was taken aback somewhat as I didn't have a clue about this. Heard that the Polish Government are throwing billions into the project as an incentive for MGR.

Also no one else is in the running other than MGR at this moment in time.

Good news. Does this mean that the Marina could enter into production again! No don't think so.

Jim

·
I'm not as think as you confused am I
1,023 Posts
:( Jim, Sorry, all the Marina presses were sold to the Chinese about ten years ago and they didn't bother doing anything with them (possibly a *** spanner-throwing excercise?????)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I am confident that the Maxi and others will stay dead, but the Marina/Ital tooling did end up in China. A small pre-production run of Ital-style pick ups were made with a locally produced engine, but nothing further was done.

·
1,023 Posts
:confused:
Pardon? I knew ARG sent a prototype ITAL estate out there using Freight Rover engine and running gear (no improvement there, then) and another prototype ended up in Telford, but I didn't know they actually pressed some tin and made some out there. It'd be interesting to see some verified photos of the trucks actually in China to clarify this, though. Hmmm, the plot thickens.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
honestly, anyone who wants the marina, ital or any other old pieces of Morris/Austin junk are welcome to them. These examples of 1970s engineering have been consigned to the scrap heap for very good reasons.

·
1,023 Posts
:mad:
Patrick - it was 'Austin/Morris junk' like the Marina that actually turned in a profit and just happened to use lots of parts that were used in other 'sports cars' that allow thousands of people worldwide to enjoy the dubious pleasures of owning cars like MGB's, Triumph Dolomite Sprints, TR7's, MG Midgets and Morris Minors.
I don't really care that you think these cars should all be consigned to the scrapheap, I've heard it all before and I'll hear it again and again, usually from those who don't know the truth behind the cars and who have usuallylistened to all the garbage spouted by the 'experts' in this world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts