MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't the guys make a new Mini?
Yes it can't be called a mini
perhaps call it a minor aka morris mini minor.
Although as small cars go the new mini (although not that small) is a nice car it is far from a mini.
Underpowered,
Expensive,
German.

MGR could produce a superb small car that is nearer to the classic mini we all love. Maybe with the mk1 tash and round rear lights?
Nimble, fun and FAST!!!
Don't produce another metro type car, MG is fun, this new direction is the most exciting thing thats happened in the british motor industry in years....... MILK IT!!!

Chris
MG and Mini enthusiast

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Wouldn't say the new Cooper S is very underpowered..

Still don't like it though.... :)

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I always liked the original mini. There always seemed to be a deceptively large amount of room for the size. Can't say that about the new one. Seems to be small on the inside for what seems to be a large (ish) body.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
BTW wouldn't this thread be better under a different forum.
Doesn't seem to fit the 'was it you' handle.

G

·
I know Dave H hates the new MINI.

But imagine the management of today with the products that were coming on stream before *** (although I doubt we would have had any ZED cars). :(

new MINI
Existing 25
Cancelled 45 (ready to be signed off)
Existing 75

If these had been MGeed then the range would have been superb!

Plus of course the new LR's coming on tap!

NB: Thanks John - your wish is my command.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I would rail against the new "Mini" even if this was being built by MG-R, and in fact, one of the early sticking points in negotiations between *** and Phoenix was that John Towers wanted it.
It is because this corruption is diametrically opposed to the original concept which envisaged cheap accesible transport for all, and did not yield to style at all - Sir Alec designed it from the inside out. Rover did unviel the spiritual concept to replace it, picture of which have cropped up on this forum, but Munich decided to go for a derivative which owed everything to fashionable trends and nothing to the essence of practical brilliance. It is now totally at the mercy of the fickle winds of fashion, no matter how many derivatives spew forth from Cow...Sorry, *** Oxford. (They're not even allowed to put Cowley on the adress anymore!) And the Cooper has revealed the last British involvement with this project, carried out by Ricardo, all the future work will be done at Munich.
I have no doubt that dynamically it is a fine car. I have no doubt that it will sell very well for the first 2-3 years, either. But the omens are not good, looking at the VW's disinterment of the Beetle. But the Gulf between the original 621 AOK and this, is so far apart as to be meaningless.
Back in the early 60's, Sir Alec and Farina, he of the Morris Oxford's and the like were at lunch. Farina mocked Issignosis for this strange little car that had just been released, as having no style or flair to the bodywork and Issignosis took grave offence. He stood up and blasted at Farina.." Your car with it's fins and chrome will be out of date in 18 months. My car will last FOREVER!"
The original will be. And looking laterally at that statement, I belive Sir Alec will have the last laugh again.

Mini. There's only one.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There really is some interesting and knowledgeable people around!!!!

Austin Seven Is a great idea or maybe just seven,
The line up could be:

Rover 7
Rover 25
Rover 45
Rover 75
Rover 85
Rover MPV
MGZ7
MGTF
MGZR
etc

And what about a 25/ZR soft top?
and a mid sized estate car? (45)
and an extreme MGF?

Come on MGR show those german what us brits are made of!!! There is a reason why F1 cars are british, are engineers are the best in the world!!!

Chris

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
*** brought us 25, 45 etc, so perhaps we should come up with a better idea and send it to MGR. 1st idea is Rover R series, Rover S series and Rover T series, T being the 75, Rover T1800, T2000V6 and T2500V6, just a thought, I'm sure better ideas will come along.:)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm Yes
They did do the SD1 and P6 so many work on those names a little?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts