MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what it says - "The Truth and not the PR Job," now - were have I heard that before?
Dear Mr Flint

Thankyou for your interest in the MG ZT XPower, a car that we believe is set to take the sports saloon sector by storm.

Since it was reveiled at Frankfurt last year, we've been putting the MG ZT XPower through a series of uncompromising and rigorour tests.

It's been submitted to the mind-numbing cold of Scandinavian winter and the blistering heat of an Australian summer. Then came the ultimate challenge for its supercharged 4.6litre, V8 which can produce 385Ps - Nuburgring, Europe's fastest racetrack.

Its 143 tortuous turns and demanding high-speed straights made it the perfect environment to evaluate the performance and handling credentials of the MG ZT XPower.

Here it bulleted to 0-60 in less than 5 seconds; topped 100mph in under 10 and scorched to an awesome top speed of 175mph. And the "Ring" also represented the toughest trial yet for the car's front-engined, rear-wheel drive configuration and it's taught chassis, which together guarantee authentic, high performance sports car handling.

The MG ZT XPower passed all its tests with flying colours. But MG's gifted engineer Rod Oldaker (voted "Engineer of the Year 2002" by Autocar) is a hard man to satisfy. Now he and MG design director, peter Stevens, along with their exceptional team, are taking the MG ZT XPower to the USA for further environmental tests and styling refinements.

It won't be long now before you can experience the sheer power of its advanaced technology on the road that was previously confined to the racetrack. The MG ZT XPower is due to be launched in Autumn 2002. ED - so there we have it - Autumn.

We'll be writing to you again with progress reports on the MG ZT XPower in the near future.

Signed Steve Robertson - UK Marketing Director.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
<<taking the MG ZT XPower to the USA for further environmental tests and styling refinements.>>

Now that is interesting...they obviously want it to be seen there.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UDA

Dave

I would guess its a little bit of publicity prior to launch in the USA!

One thing is that now "HE" knows a delivery date, difficult decisions for Mr Nutter in the next week, especially if John Price phones him!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Easy decision MAX. Sell the ZT and the SAXO and buy the 385. No dates on the launch of the ZT260 though. That was always rumoured to be earlier than the 385!

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A ten second car???? Now where have I heard that before???

0-100 in less than 10. Red Rose Speedway - no I mean Santa pod here we come. :D

No the 190 has to be kept. Saxo is the one! Now then Kernahans - how much am I bid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the rumour is true that the Mustang engines are not delivering the horsepower as promised by Ford.
Does this explain the jaunt to the US and a late launch date ?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and welcome

They always talked of 370 and then raised it to 385ps - the flyer does mention 385. So the predictions on horsepower haven't changed - GOOD. :D

The other stuff is pure speculation on my part. I think they have had problems with development, i.e productionising the car, which they have now resolved. Plus the X80 has been delayed and both the 385 and X80 were to be built alongside each other - I believe.

Of course the 260 is next - but nobody has heard a dicky bird about these from the marketing people - launch is fairly imminent.

As for the USA visit - I would think this is mainly for PR. As long as the Yanks don't get a car before me??? :D

the full spec was announced last year and it can be found HERE at XPOWER.MG.COM

We need, a front wheel brake lock-up mechanism for burn-outs - ouch this isn't MAX POWER!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too received the letter. I wonder if the 385 has been sent to the USA for the purposes of being used as a pace/safety car in the CART championships which are so big in the states.

Now that the XPOWER flag is being waved in association with Judd, and having the 385 on show, there are bound to be a few American eye-brows raising. i get the impression MGR are building up for something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
USA entry??

Steve

Your thoughts are my thoughts.

When do you think I'll see the first re-importation of the Ford V8 with that wonderful MG badge in my country? Reading elsewhere that we may only see MG with the R75/ZT chassis after the X80 chop!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Jerry's
do you know what sort of transmision options the ZT8's will have if they are exported to the states???? will auto be standard or will they be manual like the UK cars??
kev

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dave Harrison said:
Any money it'll have a slushmatic....The yanxs dont like stick shifts.

remember that the X80 was to receive an auto box....

the only certainty is that it isn't the 3 speed (from memory it was 3 speed!) from the Mangusta. I doubt it will be a 5 speed though and who would need a 5 speed auto box with all that torque anyway?

Ford make an appropriate 4 speed box for the 260 in any event.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Patrick

I agree - AUTO option for the 260 version you speak of. However, I feel the 385 could be the only user of the 6-speed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what EVO says about the V8's (X80 article)

The ZT was due to be ready in 260bhp guise this month but the lanch has been shifted back to September. The ultimate ZT, toting between 385-400bhp, will join the line up soon after that. MG is still aiming for an M5-busting price tag of around £35,000! :D

Ed: EVO mag, backs up what we all know - £35k sounds fabulous!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well I hope they can soon give me a delivery date - we are all getting older by the day. This weekend is the anniversary of Kev taking pictures of it and it's been talked about for 18 months now. Will be two years by November. If it was a Merc, you would be placing an order next month! :(

Lack of bhp is getting bothersome. Trying to avoid looking at other cars, but the ZS180 I've got is giving me the bug again (5k cheaper than the ZT and better to drive. :() Should have bought one and not listened to the dealer.

Summary: I need a date - mate from Germany can buy the German equivalent for £8k discount - very tempting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back on topic - guy on www.lancerregister.com under Blah Blah writes:

Jerry,
I was on the M40 today, and came across one of the MG-X development cars - must of been the 385bhp model you are after, it had 2 massive tail pipes at either end of the rear diffuser. He was absolutely gunning it and the car sounded LOUD!! - was ****** wide as well, with extra body mods across arches etc.

It was masked up so as not to be too easily recognised, and came off at the Banbury turn off near to the Prodrive building. Black car - anyone else seen this motor being tested ???

I would of had a pop at it just for a laugh, but he was going southbound and I was stuck in the 10 miles tailback due to an overturned lorry northbound.

I hope to see your new motor on the streets of Bucks when you get it ?

When is delivery ??

Second post from him - - I think he's secretly impressed.

Jerry, to be honest (and I NEVER thought I'd hear myself say this!)
It looked pretty good.

When you bear in mind that the Mitsi Carisma is the biggest bag of **** out, when splattered with a gaudy bodykit and fine mechanicals it becomes one of the most desirable cars out there today.

Then I suppose the Rover 75 isnt such a bad car to start with for MG's plans.

The development car I saw looked pretty hard (if you know what I mean), sounded like a race car should and was going like stink at the time. The bodykit looked good (I like the rear diffuser + pipes layout) - but to be honest I didnt get a really good look as I was sat in stationary traffic on the other side of the m-way.

I suppose they will become instantly sought after if MG/Rover pull off some good wins in motorsport circles and people begin want to drive whatever the race drivers drive.

I look forward to seeing your motor when it arrives maybe (dont go for the wood effect trim though !!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
With reference to the sighting of a ZT X seen near Prodrive at Banbury, this should come as no real suprise as Pdrive are involved in the engineering and development of, certainly, the 375 version, not sure about the 260. Most of the work is being done at their Warwick engineering facility near Kenilworth.
Apparently there are 3 test cars being used that have been spotted around the Midlands,( Red, Black and Blue).
What prize for the first picture of one of these?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Might go and hold vigil aoutside "Prodrive" one day next week. Wiliam do you know sort of times they leave Banbury?

On another tack, I may place an order for another car just incase the ZT385 is late being delivered.

Choices haven't changed.

*** M3 (import) £32k, but can't cancel the order once placed, maybe worth doing anyway to make some money.

EVO VIII RS or RS2 - if ordered would keep it.

Caterham Seven R300 - you have to keep it for a year.

Summary, looks as though it maybe the M3 (if I can get one through a friend from Germany) - at least I will have a delivery date and I'll then sell the Trophy? Also, going to ask MGR for a timesacle, before any further major decisions are made.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I do hope you are joking about the M3!!

Remember some of the reasons for which you bought the 75?????

People say the problem with us British is that we forget too easily with a little time - Don't prove that right.

Matt

1 - 20 of 48 Posts