MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
mallalaOz
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a problem starting my car from cold!! However I have developed a way to get around it, but I would like a permanent normal start fix, I am hoping someone on the forum can help.
What I have to do is initially crank the engine and it will not start but if I take the keys out of the ignition and put them back after about 4 or 5 seconds then it will start first time, once the engine is warm its starts normally after that.
When the car is garaged overnight I am left with the same problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi
I have a problem starting my car from cold!! However I have developed a way to get around it, but I would like a permanent normal start fix, I am hoping someone on the forum can help.
What I have to do is initially crank the engine and it will not start but if I take the keys out of the ignition and put them back after about 4 or 5 seconds then it will start first time, once the engine is warm its starts normally after that.
When the car is garaged overnight I am left with the same problem.
Are you cranking the engine straightaway after turning the ign on?, if so, you may not be giving the fuelpump time to pressurise the system, particulary if the system pressure drops overnight, this maybe due to the pump allowing the pressure to drop, (it shouldn't), see if you can fit a pressure gauge before the fuel inj rail, if the pressure does drop, then run the engine so as the pressure is up to 2.5 bar normal, then turn off the engine and clamp the hose in front of the rail so the gauge is between the clamp and the pump, if the pressure has dropped, then suspect the pump, if not, suspect the fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel back via the fuel return hose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts