MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what a few months it has been, there have been some changes to our plans for 2012.

The team will be running the MGZS V6 in the MGCC this year but in the Cockshoot Cup. The reason for this is that due to regulation changes the ZS was almost written out of the rules in the PBIC championship which is
a great shame as we have been racing with them since 2008.

However we are pleased to race in the Cockshoot Cup and we will be racing against at least 1 and maybe 3 other MGZS's this season.

Details of series and registered competitors below:

The Cockshoot Cup Championship

The Cockshoot Cup Championship is a racing championship run by the North West Centre of the MG Car Club. It provides an opportunity for owners of MG sports and saloon cars to race their cars within easy travelling distance of the North West of England. The cars are split into four classes. Class A is for standard cars using road legal tyres; Class B is for road-modified cars still using road legal tyres but with greater engine and transmission modifications; Class C is for fully-modified cars using racing tyres and with major body, engine and transmission modifications allowed; and Class F for road-going modified MGF and MGTF.

Competitors have to be members of the MG Car Club and have to register for the Championship.

A National B race licence is required.

All cars have to conform to the MSA safety regulations and to the Championship Rules and Regulations.

The Cockshoot Cup is a solid silver trophy donated to the MGCC in the nineteen thirties by the then MG Dealers in Manchester. Since 1984 the Trophy has been awarded to the winner of the race series run by the MG Car Club North West Centre Ltd.

Entries as of 15/02/2012

Registered Competitors 2012

Class A
2 Philip Yates Midget
78 Ian Wright Midget
95 Colin Offley AH Sprite
99 Paul Rodman AH Sprite

Class B
1 Mike Peters Midget
17 Ian Whitt Midget
24 Stephen McKie MGB V8
44 Stephen Irvine MGZR 160
64 Frazer Graham Midget
82 Helen Waddington MG ZR160

Class C
4 Danny Cusworth Midget K Series
7 Ashley Woodward MG ZS 180
12 Mark Humphrey MGTF LE500
13 Peter Burchill and Dan Ludlow MG ZS
24 David Wood MGTF LE500
83 David Coulthard MG ZR190

Class F
72 Mike Rouse MGF
76 Paul Rigg MGF

We cant wait for the season to start rounds are held at:

Calendar 2012

April 8th Donington Park
May 12th Anglesey
June 23rd/24th Silverstone GP (Two Races)
August 11th Oulton Park
September 8th/9th Croft (Two Races)

Hopefully we will see some of you at these events.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The Peter Best seems to have lost its way and has taken some odd decisions in the past, one friend who had a car that met the class rules was refused entry on the grounds that his car was and I quote "it is too fast". Its a shame. Paul was lucky enough to be invited to drive the Lunar ZS and he had a great time being in the team for a day. Best of luck for Lunar in the Cockshoot Cup. It would be great to see Lunar enter a car in the MG Trophy.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that, yeap it is a shame however we never say never and may do a round with them however with less than 6 weeks to the first race with no confirmed regulations it made it impossible to prepare a car for the series.

We were looking forward to gettting the cars near to 190 pace, but we will be chasing DC and a pair of LE500 in the cockshoot.

See you in the paddock cheers

Pete

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
good luck pete.
were can i find a full list of rules , regs and specs ?

cheers
Dave

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Thanks for the info and history. Nice to know a little more of what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good luck pete.
were can i find a full list of rules , regs and specs ?

cheers
Dave
Dave

The regulations are being finalised the ZS sits in the full race class

The aim is to get the cars on a pair with the ZR190 race cars which have
always been quicker.

Induction
Original throttle body retained induction system free
Ecu
Aftermarket allowed or standard with or without chip
Engine Mods
Piper 270 cams
Not allowed
No head work at all
Exhaust
Free
Gearbox
PG1 - ratios and diff are free 5 speed only
Suspension
Adjustable coilovers spherical bearings bushes are free
Brakes
Upto a 4 pot calliper
Safety
Roll cage, seat harness, fire system, cut off
Tyres
Slicks or MSA 1a / 1b tyres
Wheels
7" or 7.5" wheels (production size) 17" dia
Weight
1040 with driver as per Trophy regulations

The 190's have always been 3-5 seconds quicker than the ZS as the car have always run at 1120Kilos + driver so say 1210 kilos Vs 1040 of a works ZR with driver.

Clearly getting a v6 down to 1040 with driver will be a challange but we are trying.

We hope that the new regs will make it closer, I can wait as we
will be racing 190 vhpd Le500's and ZR190 cars with other ZS V6's and
a K series midget which should be great fun. We are also looking at doing some MGOC races and others this year.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
mmm interesting stuff,i got mine down to 980 kilos with the kv6 but that was pre roll cage, which iirc was about 40 kilos. Yes 1040 with driver will be a challenge, only thing i hadn't lightened really was the rear screen, so deffo some gain there but thats gonna cost. Can you go down to the 16 hairpin alloys, they were standard fitment to a zs and combined with smaller tyre you could potentially save 2-3 kilos a corner, especially if your running mk2 wheels.
Honestly i can't see 1040 with a driver and a cage being possible but keep us posted, you'd be looking at 970 kilos inc cage then or thereabouts ...that would be some achievment. Aaaargh, I Wish i could get in on this racing malarky !
Atb
Dave

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Can see a lot of anorexic ZS drivers trying to get under the weight limit.

No pies for lunch, in the pit lanes!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck Peter.

Can't wait for the start of the MGCC season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts