MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if you’ve ever looked at my website (link in my signature… needs a bit of updating still too), but over the last couple of years I’ve been rebuilding a Fiesta 1.6. Now that’s nearly done I’m looking for my next project. The fiesta will still be kept as a track car / run-a-bout for my girlfriend, as it costs nothing to run and is quite fun, but I’m ready to move onto something a bit more serious having cut my teeth on a basic rebuild.

After a few weeks of consideration I’ve decided on getting an MGB and performing a V8 conversion on it, along with building it into a Sebring replica (similar to this chap.. http://www.mgbv8.co.uk/finished.htm only without the independent Jaguar suspension) .

I’m at the “working out what I need to do and figuring out approximate costs” stage now. There seems to be plenty of people offering help and advice on the web, although I still have a few blanks to fill in.

My basic plan is to do the conversion in three ish stages. Firstly source a MGB GT (rubber bumper model) and get the shell back into showroom condition… e.g. get every tiny bit of rust out of it and under seal it all up nicely. This will give me some good opportunities to perfect my MIG welding too.

Once I’m happy that the shell is sorted I’ll be moving onto brakes and suspension. A lowering kit (new springs ... coils front and new leafs rear) and some adjustable gas shocks will replace the old style dampers. Along with the addition of a front anti roll bar and some V8 style anti-tramp bars on the back to tighten things up some more.
My question here is, will this be enough? I know that this is pretty much the setup of the original factory V8’s (plus modern dampers) however with a 3.9 ltr engine tuned to say 250 bhp (ish) will they be strong enough assuming the prop shaft and drive shafts hold, to not twist with the torque?
Second question is regards breaks. I’m planning on getting hold of some reconditioned SD1 vented 4 pots for the front, with the car only weighing 900kg I’m hoping these will cope at speed. Are any more modern breaks, rover 600’s / ZS180 units that would fit?

The final part of stage two will be to add on the Sebring kit i.e. flared arches and front/rear valances. This will then enable me to put on some nice alloys with plenty of rubber for added grip.

All this will then lead to the final stage, dumping in a 3.9 rover V8, along with the rigmarole of adjusting gear box cross member and making a few adjustments to the transmission tunnel. I’m hoping to be fitting an SD1 5 speed gear box off a V8. Improvements to the diff (new crown and pinion) and replacement prop shaft too. Question here is again will this be enough???

Once the engine is in then some mid level tuning will be done. 270 cams, either up rated injection or a holly/Edelbrook 4 barrel carb and maybe some basic porting and gas flowing of the heads. All this will be well down the line though.

So as it stands I can figure out rough costs of the first stage, basic restoration and to be fair this will take a good 6 months of my time anyway. I want to have a good idea of weather my plans for the suspension and brake updates I have in mind are going to be up to the job too. I can “roughly” price these up and know what I have mentioned above is financially doable for me. Fitting the Sebring and V8 engine can be done in 2 – 3 years time if needs be, so long as I’m confident that the chassis I have prepared is up to the job in the first place.

So essentially what I’d like before I start is maybe one or two chaps to say.. oh yes what you’re saying is close to what’s been done before and should work., or don’t be daft that’ll fall apart as soon as you touch the power.

Any comments, ideas or suggestions welcome. Also which old-school MG forum would be my best bet to post this on too?

Oh, that went on a bit longer than I thought, well done if you even read the lot :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
SBT,

That is a slightly cockeyed plan:)

You get a car and restore it and get it on road, then take it off road, then get it on road, then take it off again etc etc!

Get youself a GT, strip it, and get rid of stuff you don't need (engine/box, brakes, axles etc etc).

Get the engine/box (Chevy LS1:) see- http://www.chevroletls1.com/chevrolet_ls1_6_info.html ) you want - it's as close to Rover V8 physical size as poss, but with upwards of 400bhp easily obtainable. You'll then need a diff, shafts and rear wishbones and a frame to hold. Jag is very heavy! Think about BMW irs?

Get everything fitted to car, then strip and restore car, refurbish any "donor" parts, then assemble.

Get MOT, tax and drive:)

I'm twin turboing Deimos (see left) and will still be using Sierra 1.8 discs and drum brakes. They stop a loaded Sierra from 110, then they'll stop toy car

Come and join us on www.Locostbuilders.co.uk as there's plenty of peeps on there who've built cars (kits and modified production) and some who even have qualifications:)

ATB

Simon

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I didn't mean at the end of each stage I'd be rebuilding and putting it back on the road, :) just that I'd left the option to if there was a change of circumstances. But in essence I was going to strip the GT shell down, remove the rust and respray it, (having kept all the original running gear just incase). Then buy the new suspension and brakes parts and fit them to the restored shell, followed by fitment of the engine and improved prop/diff. The idea of doing things in stages was simply to give me bail out points if I run out of money really.

I'll have a look at the chevy engine you mentioned, the rover V8 was my first choice basically due to availability (theres loads f old starting to rust Range Rovers kicking about) and also the fact that a Rover V8 will bolt straight into the MGB.... well almost.

I was hoping to keep MG rear suspension set up and just improve it best I could. It's an awful lot of work replacing the whole lot with wishbones, will look into it still though. Maybe theres some kit kar applications that would lend themselves well to it.

I'll put some posts up on www.Locostbuilders.co.uk and get some more ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my ideas and add to them. I can see this turning into quite a substantial project. :)

Cheers,

Adam

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Shangs
You will find all the advice you need on the MGOC BBS. On the MG owners club forum you will find out a lot about the V8 conversion.

A few of the guys on there have done the conversion using a lot of different suspension. One of the guys is doing his conversion using all Hoyle stuff, a Rangie 3.9 EFI, auto transmission, power steering and AC I think.

You wont have much trouble with the gearbox crossmember if you are thinking of the LT77 box. There are a few kits out there which can be fitted quite easily.
As for the engine, you will have to do 2 minor mods to the tunnel, but with the Clive Wheatley engine mount brackets, the V8 will drop straight onto the original mounts on the chassis rail.
You will need to find a pre sd1 timing cover, and the remote oil filter housing as the standard pump and combined filter assembly hits the front cross member. As you say, there are plenty of RV8's around to buy and do up.
I would also strongly recommend fitting RV8 (through the wing) style exhaust manifolds. The block hugger manifolds are quite restrictive.
I have sent you a PM to detail the basic set up of my car.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I found myself a nice rust free welding already done 1975 MGB GT.
Has brand new minilite alloys on with spanking new tyres too. Interior is a bit shabby and paintwork is average, but nothing a bit of TLC and some touch up paint won't cure. Basically some tidy seat covers and the under seal on the shell re-doing and I can begin on the real stuff (pending saving some pennies up too)

Anyays.. pic's from the gallery...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not yet mate but am planning on putting a section on my website which will have pictures of progess as it goes.. just havent had the time as of yet.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably going to be a week or two before I get time spare to actually re-write a section on my website for this and have foun some pictures on my mobile I can show you for now as a sneak preview :)

The situation as it stands at the moment is as follows:

All the interior has been removed bar the dash. Revealing.. wait for it .. NO rust, seriously this car is in better shape than my ZS (well almost)

The rear springs dampers and axle have been taken off the car (possibly not at the time of the photos though). I'm now awaiting on the availability of some new lower rear springs that are in short supply at the moment. But as soon as they become available then they will be going straight on, along with refurbed uprated lever arms and poly-bushes.

I have now got a set of 4-pot SD1 brake calapers and some V8 disks, along with all the connectors and adjusters to fit the SD1's. The front suspension and hubs have both been stripped down and I'm awaiting front lowering springs also. Once these arrive I'll clean everything up and build everything back up. Mainly just nuts and bolts so quie a quick job.

In my garage I now also have accumulated a recon'd LT77 gear box and a new clutch. I'm now on the look out for a 3.9 rover V8 engine, oh and I suppose removal of the old block and gear box too :)

So making progress, but being hampered at the moment by the lack of rear springs available, due to supplyer problems.

Oh and also I'm on the look out for a V8 rear axle as the stadard MGB one is too high a ratio. I'm hoping to grab one off ebay some time but they are few and far between. The other option is getting a new crown wheel and pinion for mine and finding some one to press in the new parts, as I dont have the equiptment to do it myself.

Anyway.. some pictures....

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts