MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I've mentioned before about seeing what looks like test MG6's around my area.

Well lastnight one was alongside me at the lights, and when the lights went green I heard an engine restart, as start/stop does.

I looked around to see if there was any other cars in the queue that could have had start/stop but couldn't see any.

Could be wrong, but I wonder if it was one of the diesels.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I think only the petrol-electric hybrid has that. The normal hybrid engine in the 750 also has it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
How many production cars actually have that feature? Seem to remember it was fitted on some Peugeots Petrol models some years ago but got the impression that it never caught on.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My mini also has it, its a PITA!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It's a German thing, BMW's and Audis...........
I heard something about Mercedes putting them on the A class but wouldn't say they were leaders in implementing the technology. It's mostly Ford, Toyota, Honda and some other European car makers (Peugeot, Citroen) etc, who're hot on it right now. I think there was a crude Japanese start/stop vehicle as early as the 70s. The first time I heard about it was like 15 years ago when one model came on the UK market. It was reviewed on Top Gear or similar; may not have been a Peugeot as I said, but it wasn't heard of again. From a consumer's point of view it may not be a viable proposition considering the added premium on the price tax tag of the vehicle Vs. actual savings at the pump. But they're improving the technology all the time, so who knows, we may all be start/stopping like Kangaroos in the near future.

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think only the petrol-electric hybrid has that. The normal hybrid engine in the 750 also has it.
There is a petrol-electric hybrid MG6 in existence - that could be testing in the UK?

Maybe the guy just stalled it, I don't know.

My wife's 1-series BMW has start/stop. It works very well but sometimes it doesn't kick in (which is explained in the manual) but I am never sure why.

The obvious problem with it is it has no idea how long you are going to be stopped. I end up feeling a bit of mechanical sympathy when it turns the engine off and then 5 seconds later it has to restart because I need to get moving again. On the flipside if you're at some traffic lights with a really long pause then it makes sense.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
There is a petrol-electric hybrid MG6 in existence - that could be testing in the UK?

Maybe the guy just stalled it, I don't know.

My wife's 1-series BMW has start/stop. It works very well but sometimes it doesn't kick in (which is explained in the manual) but I am never sure why.

The obvious problem with it is it has no idea how long you are going to be stopped. I end up feeling a bit of mechanical sympathy when it turns the engine off and then 5 seconds later it has to restart because I need to get moving again. On the flipside if you're at some traffic lights with a really long pause then it makes sense.
Yes, sort of - the Roewe 550 (rebadged MG6 Magnette) has a petrol electric which should be entering production right about now but initially with a limited "test" run of a few hundred for sale to the Chinese government, it's due for public sale in the autumn. It seems quite likely that there is some UK testing being done.

However when setting off from the lights, unless he put his foot down it would be powered by a 50KW electric motor and I suspect restarting the engine is not very obvious since it has a 25KW starter motor to start it gently instead of a normal 2KW highly stressed one! A far more refined system than the one on the Mini.

If you plug it into the wall overnight it can do about 50Km on cheap fuel before it needs to start the petrol engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
as parsec says the 1 series bmw diesel has the start/stop function my mum has one of these, dont like the idea too much i would think it takes some of the life out of the starter motor

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I pulled up behind a Ford Focus a couple of weeks ago, it was waiting for a farmer to negotiate his way out of a gate. It was obvious we weren't going to move for a minute or so so I stopped the engine on my ZS. I could then hear the rather noisy engine of the Focus, but looking at the back of the Focus it had an Econetic badge and I thought shouldn't that have stopped itself by now :confused:

It sat there for another two minutes with the engine running all the time, now I know why:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...440/Ford-Focus-Econetic-StopStart-review.html

Once the farmer had sorted himself the Focus set off so I started the ZS engine and set off too. It seems the ZS with a stopped engine can start moving a lot faster than a Focus with a running engine - It was so unexpectedly slow I wasted some fuel using the brakes to avoid running into the back of it!

The manual start-stop on my ZS is far more predictable than the BMW version and I bet I can predict when it is worth stopping the engine better than the BMW can, it even came with the car at zero cost...

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New ford focus has it now too does it not?
Probably, Ford have really been busy on the eco front. That 1.0 3 cylinder petrol engine is supposed to be amazing, with a V6 sound track.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts